Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a 2006 Maytag French Door Refrigerator with the freezer

We have a 2006 Maytag French Door Refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom. All the lights on the control panel started flaching and the door to the ice chute keeps opening and closing. It will do this for a while then it goes back to "normal" except the water and ice despencer won't work at all now. Can you help? Thank you, [email protected]
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this is actually a very common problem for these french door refrigerators made by Maytag on the models where th unit just began production (such as your 2006 model). The problem is that the main high voltage relay board has shorted out and will need to be ordered and replaced. The board is located on the back of the refrigerator so you need to pull the refrigeratour, unplug the unit, and remove the access panel about half way up the back to access and replace the control board. The control board is all plug and play and only takes about 15 minutes to replace, but the board will come with a white sheet of paper so make sure you don't discard this paper because it tells you which buttons to press on the front control panel to program it so it knows which refrigerator you have. You'll need the model number to order the correct control board which should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator and it will look something like MFI2368AEW or something like that. The part costs about $150 or so normally.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!