Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello, I have and InsinkErator disposal that is batch fed.

I have and InsinkErator disposal that is batch fed. It has the turn/lock handle. It is giving me toruble shutting off. When I put it on and am ready to turn it off by twistingt he handle it stays on.

After I try a few times it goes off. I am at apoint now where it does not even go off. Since I do not have a switch, I heed to use the breaker.

I thought the handle might be wearing out so I got a new one and it did not help.

Any thoughts?

Jim

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today,

Good morning, This is common on these. there is a switch that screws into the side of the disposer that the turn/lock handle hits to engage the disposer. it is starting to stick and will need to be replaced. this switch can be purchased at the following link , http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Switch/71716A/820740?RCAID=1000065 the switch runs around $45.00 and comes with instructions. you can do this yourself if your handy. Thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the great answer... so quickly. I originally tried the handle thinking somehting there was worn out....

i will order the switch. so you just saved me a service call but more important... an emormous amount of time.

I appreciate it....

Jim

Your very welcome Jim. you can try removing the old switch and cleaning it with HQ contact spray you can get at radio shack , Sometimes they are gummed up and you can free it up but it most cases it needs to be replaced. have a great day ! Thanks, Bryan