Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

we have a maytag gas dryer which is about 5 years old. We

we have a maytag gas dryer which is about 5 years old. We had to turn the power off to the house to repair something else but when we turned the power back on the dryer would not go on. the lights go on and you can push what type of dry you want but when you push start you hear a click but the dryer doesn't start turning on. the dryer is the kenmore elite model HE4. is there a way to reset the machine or anything else that could be done before calling a repair man?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

hello, there really isnt any way of resetting the dryer except unplugging again or turning the breaker off for 5 minutes and seeing if the board resets? can you try that and let me know ,thx randy

Customer:

I tried unplugging the dryer for 5 minutes but it didn,t work. Any other ideas?

Randy 43 :

do you hear any humming sound when trying to start the dryer? try opening the door pushing in the door switch around the frame ,pushing start and at the same time turn the drum clockwise by hand , see if it starts ? this may req a 2nd person

Customer:

filter There isn't any humming sound when trying to start dryer. I also tried opening the door pushing in the door switch, pushing start and turning the drum but it does what it did before which is holding the start button down until it clicks but after the click the drum doesn't turn like it normally would. Also the check lint light flashes but I already made sure the lint line is clear.

Randy 43 :

sorry , icant think of anything else other than taking the dryer apart . ill repost your question and maybe another tech has more info

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

This is actually a pretty common issue. If you hear the click when you press the start you need to replace the control board or the solder joint on the board for the motor has burned out. Likely it was just coincidence nothing more. So if you hear the click you need to get the board out and check the backside of it as you may be able to fix the solder joint...otherwise it is time for a new board. That board is located under the top lid of the unit off to the left. It is a large board and looks like this.
Whirlpool Control Board(NNN) NNN-NNNNfrom AppliancePartsPros.com
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did what you said but disconnecting fragile circuit board wires is too complicated. Thanks though