Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

sub zero series 501 stopped running

Customer Question

sub zero series 501 stopped running
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 10 months ago.

Randy 43 :

hello, the 501 f and 501 r are stand alone units ? do you just have them side by side?they are seperate fridges with their own power cords , unless you have a different model #? is this correct? and it is the freezer that is not running? thx randy

Customer:

hi Randy,

Customer:

They are stand alone units side by side

Customer:

Model numbers are 501R, 501F

Customer:

now, neither unit is running

Customer:

fuse it not popped

Randy 43 :

but you have the lights and fans running in both?

Customer:

verifying... on moment

Customer:

fan runs on freezer (top of unit, black bladed fan) -- no lights

Customer:

refrigerator - no fan

Randy 43 :

the fan inside the freezer , not the one by the compressor below , just confirming

Customer:

that's correct -- not the compressor fan

Randy 43 :

the fan should not come on till you press the white door switches around the frame ? if you push the ref switch can you hear a fan? there should be 2 on the bottom of the door frame opening

Randy 43 :

one for lites and the other for the fan

Customer:

on freezer: push white switch fan (inside) comes on
on refrigerator: push white switch fan does not come on

Randy 43 :

are you sure refrigerator hasnt just reached temp? what if you turn the dial up to max on ref

Randy 43 :

can you hear it click on? and fan comes on?

Customer:

refrisgerator: turning dial to max has no result -- no click on; no fan operation

Randy 43 :

fridge was fine before ? you only had a problem with the freezer

Customer:

is there any kind of thermal protection on motors? the frig was running while I tried to repair the refrigerator -- maybe components got too hot?

Customer:

yes -- fridge was fine; the frezer wasn't consistently holding temp so was going to replace thermostat

Randy 43 :

no there isnt any thermal protection, there is a limiter for the lites that will cut the lites out after 5-10 min

Randy 43 :

did you notice any frost build up on the freezer coil when you had the back panel off?

Customer:

no - no build up

Randy 43 :

with the freezer, if the fan is running then the compressor should be as well, do you hear it clicking ? or can you verify it is running?

Randy 43 :

control supplies power to the compressor as well as the fan

Customer:

compressor definitely isn't running - no clicking

Randy 43 :

fan isnt running when door is open correct? only when you push the switch in

Customer:

that's correct

Randy 43 :

do you know if the fan by the compressor is running right now?

Customer:

this is odd - freezer just came on with no action on my part

Randy 43 :

it needs to equalize the pressure ,possibly you didnt wait long enough?

Customer:

i waited an hour before writing you. do you mean the pressure inside the cabinet?

Customer:

oddly - frig just turned on too

Customer:

I have to go to a meal for father's day - thanks for the help. Any insights you have on this behavior would be most appreciated.

Randy 43 :

whenever you cut power to the compressor and turn it on again it takes 5 min or so for the pressure to equalize , if it took a hour? i would suspect the freezer may have been in a defrost mode at the same time you were working on it ..if both fridge and freezer acted up at the same time it could be a power source issue , because they are seperate fridges

Customer:

ok -- thanks. have a good Sunday.

Randy 43 :

if it happens continually then i would look at the power ,possibly a surge ?

Customer:

have a whole house surge protector so I hope not :)

Randy 43 :

you too , let me know if any other problems

Customer:

will do - thank you.

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert