Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a whirlpool refrigerator, and the freezer is fine but

I have a whirlpool refrigerator, and the freezer is fine but the refrigerator is not cold enough. I think the vent from the freezer to refrigerator is frozen. How can I fox this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, Do you have the model number so I can better assist you ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where can I find the model number?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
look inside the refrigerator section on either one of the side walls or the ceiling. there will be a tag.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the model number is XXXXX

The serial is 109202

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
can you recheck that,? that number doesn't come up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, the model number is XXXXX

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay prefect, Now open the freezer and look on the back wall, Is it covered in frost ? is the fan running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, and yes

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, the issue is a defrost problem, these have an automatic defrost system in them and when they don't defrost theres no air flow to the refrigerator section./ first thing you need to do is remove the panel inside the freezer , The back panel with the frost. can you do that ? do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can get a multimeter later today. Is there any other way to remove it? Otherwise, u can just tell me what to do now, and I will do it later when I have the tool

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well you just need the multimeter to test the defrost parts once you get the back panel out. What you can do for now is take the panel off and take a hair dryer and defrost all the ice from the coils, then put the panel back in so it will start getting cold again. When you get the multi meter come back and I'll show you what to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will come on. It will be around 6 pm. Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay your welcome. talk later.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I have the multi meter. So your saying that the first thing I should do is remove the back panel of the freezer?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes inside the freezer behind your food. heres a diagram if that helps. remove panel number 16
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I removed the back panel and I used my blow dryer to remove the ice that was stuck in the holes that link to the refrigerator. What should I do next?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
so the coils were clear but the holes that the air flows through were covered in ice ? there was no frost on the coils? tell me was there ice under the coils in a sheet ? A sheet of ice ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There was a thin sheet of ice under the coils. Do I need to do anything else?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes or this will happen again. I know now whats going on, Your defrost drain hole is clogged. when this happens in this refrigerator the water has nowhere to drain so it overflows and clogs the vents to the refrigerator. while you have the panel out boil some water and pour it over the sheet of ice under the coils, when it melts enough you will see a hole in the middle under the coils, keep pouring hot water over the hole until it drain freely again. this will fix the issue for good. then put this back together and your all set ! good job, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.