Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I purchased a Maytag 19 cuft freezer drawer refrigerator January

I purchased a Maytag 19 cuft freezer drawer refrigerator January 2012 - Model MBB1957WEW This past week water is running out of the bottom of the refrigerator - not all the time - but sporadically and quite a significant amount. What's happening and what do I do to fix the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

hello , the water is definately coming from under the fridge ? is there any ice build up in the bottom of the freezer section? no layer of hard ice under the freezer basket ? thx randy

Customer:

Yes there is a layer of ice buildup - I'll defrost the freezer section tomorrow.

Randy 43 :

is the layer of ice on the bottom or on the rear panel? thx

Customer:

On the bottom - but I don't see how it can come out from under the fridge

Randy 43 :

your drain is plugged .in behind that freezer panel is a drain ,it is plugged up and instead of the water draining to a pan by the compressor it over flows fills the bottom of the freezer and overflows ,leaking out the corners of the freezer section

Randy 43 :

the freezer drawer would need to be removed as well as the rear panel, the drain cleared and the rubber grommet cut down a little bit to prevent the issue from happening again

Randy 43 :

if you got somebody in to do that it would cost you approx $120 -$150

Randy 43 :

no parts required

Customer:

Is the rear panel located behind the fridge? So I should pull the fridge out away from the wall and remove the covering?

Randy 43 :

no it is inside the freezer section ,when you pull the drawer out , where you hear the fan running

Customer:

We'll try this on Monday - is there anyway I can contact you further?

Randy 43 :

just respond to the same question ,you can keep asking questions till you are happy ,even after you accept

Randy 43 :

im just following up on my open questions , were you able to get that rear panel out ?thx

Customer:

It was certainly a challenge - it seems the drain was plugged and everything is working or seems to be. We had to take off the freezer door and all the slide mechanisms inside - a very difficult process. In hind sight, it likely would have been easier to go from the back of the fridge.

Randy 43 : You can't really get at the ice thru the back , it needs to done the way you did it , when you had it cleared , if you poured water in the trough it should drain, then lleave a zap strap in there to prevent the grommet to stay open a bit .. Everyone's mechanical ability is different .. I know it is tough , even for guys that do it every day
Customer:

Everything seems to be working although, maybe its my imagination, but there is now a louder humming noise. Arrgh. Not impressed with Maytag!!!! And its less than 1 1/2 years old. Never again

Randy 43 :

that rear panel may just be vibrating ,or the plastic fan cover may not be clipped in right ,tryt loosening the screws ,adjust the panel and retighten ..vibration could be something minor

Customer:

Okay but I can't for the next three days - my husband is out of town and he's the one that has to do it. I'll let you know. Is this the rear panel inside at the back of the freezer drawer? Does this mean we have to take out everything - drawer mechanisms, etc.? If so, it just isn't going to happen!!!!!!!!!!

Randy 43 :

you can reach some of the screws without removing everything , it may be enough

Randy 43 :

if you havent given ratings the question stays in the open category , you can always still ask questions after the ratings are complete .. if you thought the rating was poor , please let me know so i can help sort things out ,thx Randy

Customer:

I'm getting two replies every time - I hope that doesn't mean I'm being charged twice?

Randy 43 :

no you arent being charged at all until ratings are complete , if you complete ratings ,you can still ask as many questions as you like ,it doesnt mean the session is over , but it is always open in my question category and i am required to follow up ,you only pay once not multiple times ,thx Randy

Randy 43 :

thank you

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert