Phil
Phil, Shop owner
Experience:  Degree, Mech. engr. shop owner. 51 years experience
23932409

I have a 8000 gal tank for water storage that I use for my

Customer Question

I have a 8000 gal tank for water storage that I use for my vineyard. It is fed by well water. My pump on the well produces 35gal/min. The tank has a shut off valve that works like a toilet valve to fill the tank as needed. The valve is not working reliably (Jobe valve systems {Topaz Differential} www.jobevalves.com). The rep indicated that small debris is getting into the system and causing it to stick. He recommended filtering the water before it gets to the valve. My question is....... If I install a 2 stage filtering system (140 mesh + a 280 mesh) will it create too much back pressure on my well pump and cause it to burn out prematurely? What type of filter system do you recommend?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!

As we go along just keep pressing the 'continue' button until we succeed. There are no time limits here.

You do not need a 'filtering system' that could indeed clog up and slow the water flow, and cause the pump to run excessively. (it would not burn out the pump however, centrifugal pump motors *unload when the discharge is blocked)

A wye strainer would be your best (and most common option).. 80 or 100 mesh is way more than adequate for debris. Fit a wye strainer one size larger than the pipe so that you will have to clean the screen less often.

___________

That said, and going beyond the debris issue... there are calcification and mineral deposit issues that can cause these valves to stick, no filtration, no matter how good will prevent mineral deposit issues.

Do you see mineral scale deposits in the valve?

Let me know, we can go from there as needed, there are other types of valves that are less vulnerable to mineral deposit issues.

There is no time limit here, as long as you keep rating my answers positively I will keep the question open.

Phil
Phil, Shop owner
Experience: Degree, Mech. engr. shop owner. 51 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. There is a red deposit on everything. It may be iron oxide or clay. The well is in granite down 400 feet. The top soil is clay loam.

What do you recommend?

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

If the red is iron oxide (rust), and with clay mixed in and if it is building up on the valve parts then the particles are very small, it is not 'debris'... ultra fine water filtration might work, but could end up being a constant maintenance expense.

The least expensive approach would be to switch to an industrial plastic valve.... that will not tend to accumulate the rust or clay particles to the degree that a brass valve does.

By going to a much larger capacity valve you get larger clearances between the parts that will also make the valve less sensitive to any mineral or clay deposit build ups.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE VALVE

Let me know what you think. we can go from there. Thanks for the excellent rating.!

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The parts are plastic except for one. you can check out the valve at

http://www.jobevalves.com/topaz-differential.html

I did check out the valve you suggested, but I can not find out how much travel the control arm can travel before it signals the valve to open and refill the tank.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, any of these types of float valves begin opening as soon as the float ball moves the float arm down more than a degree or two, then the water pressure pushes the piston inside open and water begins to flow.

when the float rises, it takes the float arm up and still does not stop the flow since pump pressure is enough to force the valve open... so the water level rises until there is enough pressure from the float arm to force the valve to seat against the pressure from the pump.

The smaller the float valve, the smaller diameter the piston is, and the more likely it is to stick closed because the pump cannot put enough pressure on the piston to open it if there is any debris inside the valve.

The valve I referenced is designed for very heavy flows, and will likely have a larger piston than the valve you have and will be subject to much more pump pressure (pounds per square in rises stays the same, but net *force against the valve sea increases as the surface square inches increases)....so that when the float arm goes down the valve opens easier.

If your valve is too small in relation to the pump discharge pressure then the pump will have a hard time forcing the valve open... that will be especially true if the pump is near the bottom of your tank and the float valve is near the top

If you can tell me how tall the tank is and put a gage on the discharge line of the pump we can tell more about what is happening... we may want to fit an even larger float valve if the pump pressure is borderline.

I can stay with you on this with no time limit. Let me know what you think, we can go from there.

Phil.