Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Good afternoon I have a Maytag GS2126CEDW/11 fridge freezer.

Good afternoon
I have a Maytag GS2126CEDW/11 fridge freezer. A couple of weeks ago the electric tripped in the middle of the night, I was able to trace it back to the fridge freezer. I already had a problem once with the block drain pipe, so I took the cover off and let the freezer defrost. The problem is that the freezer no long becomes cold enough to cool the fridge or even freeze the freezer. The radiator freezes at the top but not all the way through and it never gets real cold in the freezer. The fan in the freezer works. If I low the freezer right down the fan stops and restarts on command. If I leave it running the power trips hours later. Do you have any ideas? Thank you
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Around behind the refrigerator under the cover there should be a fan operating near the compressor. Is that fan operating?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for replying so quickly.

Yes the fan behind the rear cover is working.

Hi John

You are welcome, Let's say for example the electric just tripped. And you were to reset and get the refrigerator running again. Would it operate for more than an hour and the radiator in the freezer never frosts more than half in that hour?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello again

If I push the trip switch up into position it trips straight away. I have to unplug it and leave it a bit and then retry.

I works for maybe over 6 hours, with the inner fan going off and on over this period, but the radiator never freezes much just the first two rear upper bars. So it would only be a quarter of the radiator if that.

Your refrigerator needs coolant. An hour of run time is enough to freeze the entire radiator, there is nothing else that will do that. I know you wanted to make this repair but unless your allowed access to the coolant in your country you will need a tech for that job.

Every 6 hours is about the time your refrigerator defrosts, it is a frost free refrigerator so it must stop, turn on a heater to melt the frost out of the radiator. That is standard operation for this model. What happens is the refrigerator turns off and then the heater comes on. Usually this problem is caused by a bad heater, it may even be broken and grounded to the metal under the radiator.

Check the connector arrowed red, and sometimes you can see that the heater is broken. If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating so that I am compensated. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for all your help

Thank you for the opportunity to help John. Have a very nice evening.