Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

Range DGEF3041KFH purchased 4/7/2012 has essentially burnt

Range DGEF3041KFH purchased 4/7/2012 has essentially burnt metal pot lids on lower drawer. Unclear whether from bake, broil or self-clean mode. Calls to Frigidaire and service call produced nothing. We have a safety and health concern. Any ideas?

tom goellner :

Does this stove have a "hidden bake " element ? On some stoves now in order to acheive a smooth easily cleanable oven the bake element is under the bottom of the oven , installed from the right side as opposed to the more familiar element that is installed in the back and easily seen laying on the bottom of the oven.

Customer:

Must be hidden. No element can be seen on the bottom.

tom goellner :

It needs to be looked at . One possibility is the element is warped where it is nearly touching the bottom right above the drawer or there is no insulation or the insulation is not positioned to shield the heat from the bottom drawer.

Customer:

Two screws in the back of bottom panel. Can I remove screws, panel and take a look? Any recommendations?

tom goellner :

Hang on , let me pull up a drawing

tom goellner :

On this stove the bake element is accessible from inside the oven - remove the bottom pan. You can look at the element - part #NNN-NN-NNNN and the insulation block below it - part # XXXXX at www.repairclinic.com But just getting in there and looking will tell you a lot about your problem.

tom goellner :

Part # XXXXX insulation isNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Customer:

Thank you for your time and effort. I will reflect in the rating. Before I proceed:

tom goellner :

Thank you

Customer:

Any chance of this being considered a manufacturing defect, even if out of warranty?

tom goellner :

It probbably is a manufacturing defect , but getting them to admit it and do anything about is another story. If you get in there and find the insulation melted or worse missing definitely call them as it would be a fire hazard and theyh don't like hearing those two words from a consumer.

Customer:

Thanks again. I will bookmark this site. How can I be sure to get you, if need be?

tom goellner :

If you asking a question concerning this same issue it will come up as "mine " or you can ask for me specifically when asking question , Of course I'm not available 24/7

Customer:

Understood, thanks again.

tom goellner :

You're welcome and let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FYI. I removed the panel covering the element, which is mounted in the back. The is a metal pan/panel under the element. From underneath, above the drawer, there is a metal shield that is attached to another metal panel. It is unclear if there any insulation between that panel and the metal pan underneath the element.

Can't really tell from the picture how you access that insulation ,but that is what is important - is it there and if so is it melted, deteriorated in some way. I would turn off power and try to access it from inside the oven first , since it is easier to see what you are doing from there