Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator that doesnt de

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator that doesn't defrost.
can you get us the full model number ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kenmore ColdSpot Model #106.56533400

Have you tested the heater in this ? Defrost Heater Assembly(NNN) NNN-NNNN        Main Product Viewthe heater should have continuity when tested with a volt meter. do you have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I took it out and tested it. I believe the continuity test was 22.

okay so it had continuity. that means its good. A couple of questions, Is the fan in the freezer running ? also when you had the panel out were all the coils frosted ? not just half ? or a quarter of them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The actual reading on my meter was 022 with no tone on the tone setting for the continuity test.

Yes the fan runs.

I think all the coils were frosted up. They probably all frozen up now.

okay no tone then the heater is the issue. heres a link to order the heater. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Heater-Assembly/2323198/1408375?modelNumber=106.56533400?RCAID=1000065 that should have toned out. the heater is around $39.00 and will take care of your defrost issue. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did get a tone when its installed and the 022 reading was when I took it out. If that makes a difference.

Also, after I installed both the defrost thermostats I checked the defrost pan and there was water in it. Currently it's dry.

And when you close the freezer side door you can hear it pulling a vacuum and the doors are much harder to open.

okay I'm not sure I understand, So this is defrosting ? above you said it wasn't.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it is defrosting it's not enough because ice freezes up in the bottom of the freezer. But as I said I checked the defrost pan after replacing the defrost thermostats and there was water in the defrost pan so I thought it was fixed. But in 2 to 3 weeks for the ice start building up in the bottom of the freezer.

oh okay, So the refrigerator is actually working ? staying cold ? but there water on the floor of the freezer every 2-3 weeks? thats the issue ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, there is no water leak. It's just that ice builds up in the bottom of the freezer side of the refrigerator and we have to manually defrost the refrigerator.

okay I see, well the only thing left in the defrost system is the control. everything else is checking out but its not going into defrost by itself. the defrost is controlled by the user control board. User Control and Display Board(NNN) NNN-NNNN        Main Product Viewthis is all thats left in the defrost system. it needs to be replaced. heres a link to the part. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/User-Control-and-Display-Board/8201661/1059846?modelNumber=106.56533400?RCAID=1000065 sorry for my confusion .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since I did get some defrosting (water in pan) then the only thing left is the control board.

Do you think that is should re-test anything to make sure? And if so, how?

well the only two things you can check are the heater and the thermostat which you replaced so I doubt those are bad. you cant really test the board its electronic. theres really nothing else there. the board may be going to defrost intermittently.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is the control board difficult to change out? Anything that I should know? Is there a video that shows how to replace?

Theres no video that I know of but its not difficult to replace. heres a diagram. the control is number 5. just rewove the screws and drop the control down. after that its just a plug and play.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I'll watch the defrost pan and make sure that it's defrosting some and if it is I will order the control board.

okay. Good luck and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I'm so slow on working on this but a couple of weeks ago I changed out the defrost thermostat but refrigerator still freezes up. It starts freezing up at the drain hole and then ice builds up in the bottom of the freezer and I'll have to manually defrost in about a month. You can tell when the drain is frozen up because when you close the refrigerator doors it pulls a vacuum. I believe if the drain hole didn't freeze up and would let it drain the refrigerator would be ok. Why would it freeze up at the drain hole in the freezer side? Any ideas on what I should check? Should I give up and call a service tech?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electric-large-kitchen-home-appliances/498097-kenmore-model-106-56533400-side-side-refrigerator-not-defrosting-too-cold.html#ixzz2ZbuNjgRc

these do that all the time in these,they make a drainstrap heater you can put in this to prevent that.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
heres the ;link to order that. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Strap/819043/726493?RCAID=1000065