Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

The Temperature Control Panel on the outside door of the freezer

The Temperature Control Panel on the outside door of the freezer door continues to read o oo o oo o oo o. (Profile Series). Consequently, I cannot adjust the temperatures because of the scrolling on the LCD, It continues without interruption!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon : Hello
Jon : my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized GE service tech and I can help you today.
Jon : the board just has scrolling ooooooooo in the display?
Jon : Have you had any power surges on your home lately? And how old is this ref?
Jon : are you still with me?
Customer:

rmer"or "colder"" on the LCD. The Freezer also is slowly defrosting.

Customer:

Alightning bolt yesterday hit just outside of my home. Several circuits were disrupted, however not the circuit with the refrigerator

Jon : ok. Thank you.
Jon : can you open the freezer door push in the door switch and tell me if you hear the evaporator fan running please?
Jon : and is the compressor in the back of the ref running now?
Jon : if you had a power surge recently it could have and has most likely shorted the main board in the back of the ref. the main board controls almost everything in this machine and is notorious for shorting out and causing issues like this.
Jon : it is very common. Especially when you have a surge and the control board will not operate normally and the ref starts to defrost.
Jon : most times you would think the ref circuit is not and has not been affected because the lights never go out in th display board. But the real damage has been done to the board in back.
Customer:

I AM NOT HOME, SINCE MY INTERNET IS NOT WORKING. cAN YOU PLEASE GUIDE ME WITH STEPS TO TAKE. I WILL BE HOME IN ABOUT 1 HOUR. however, I DO NOT YET HAVE INTERNET SERVICE!

Jon : You got it.here is what you need to do.
Jon : first unplug the ref or flip off circuit to the ref for ten minutes. Then plug it back in. If the lights not he display come back on and read the temps like it should normally then you have just reset the main board and the machine might be ok. So monitor it for the next couple days and make sure it is cooling properly.
Jon : Now, secondly, if that board doesn't work or function properly after reseting the ref by unplugging for ten minutes, which it will propped not work anyway, give the ref about five minutes and tell me if the compressor is running in back. Aso tell me if the freezer evaporator fan is running in the inside of the freezer
Jon : if the fans are not running and compressor is not running and control lights flash or display any words instead of regular set temps of the ref then the main board has registered a short and needs to be replaced.
Jon : do that and get back to me here if you have any other questions and I will help you more.
Jon : the mian board like I said above is the most common part to fail in this machine. And many other GE refs like this one. It happens all the time. And especially after there was a lightning strike near you or a power surge to the home.
Jon : the main control board can be changed and replaced very easily. With the ref pulled out from the wall and cabinets you will notice a metal cover in the shape of a square in the back of the ref. just above the access to the compressor area. It will have about ten screws on it. Remove those screw with power off to the machine and remove the cover completely for the ref. with the cover off you will clearly see the main control board. Take a picture of the placement of the wiring so you know where it goes on the new board and remove the old board. Put the new board in and swap the wires.
Jon : And finally put the cover back on and plug the machine back in. Take notice of the control board and display. If it is functioning normally you are good. Just make sure the machine cools in the next few hours. If it doesn't and the display is still off and not reading correctly then you will need to replace the display board as well as the main control board.
Customer:

I WILL TAKE THESE STEPS TONIGHT OR TOMORROW MORNING. if THESE STEPS DO NOT WORK, CAN I CONTACT YOU AGAIN?

Jon : Yes. Please get back to me here at any time. You will bin constant contact with me after you accept my answer here now tonight just make sure that you rate my performance positively by rating ok service or better below this chat now. And after you do that, you can come back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge. And we will pick up right where we left off tonight.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again for the positive rating and very generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated.

Yes, should you run into any other trouble either ordering or installing parts or any other questions you might have with this machine, please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.