Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

GS5SHAXNL00 whirlpool refrigerator, was not cooling enough,

Customer Question

GS5SHAXNL00 whirlpool refrigerator, was not cooling enough, evap fan is fine, replaced condenser fan that was failing and cleaned coils, also replaced temp control unit in the refrigerator side with brand new one...digital numbers were no longer visible. Replaced the parts this morning, fridge seems to be running fine but its only been a few hours......and now I see the digital numbers on the control unit are blank again. Could this be caused by the main control board located by the compressor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

you have replaced this ? Temperature Control Board(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product Viewthe temp control board ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes that is the control unit I replaced.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay if its blank again then the main control in the back is the issue. that feeds the power to the control. Main Control Board W10135090 Main Product Viewyou can order this at the following link if you wish. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/W10135090/1394052?modelNumber=GS5SHAXNL00?RCAID=1000065
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's what I was afraid of.....Thanks for the information. At least with the temp control unit I can return it for refund if the old one still works fine. Sometimes the numbers light up and most of the time they would not. Now that its doing the same thing with the new temp control unit...so that tells me the old temp control unit is most likely still good.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
sounds like it. thats good return it and put the main board in and you will be all set . thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again Bryan! -Chris

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your very welcome Chris, Please remember to rate me 3 or above so I get credit for helping you. have a great weekend ! thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Bryan,

Turns out the compressor was also toast. It ran but did not circulate refrigerant through the system most likely due to clogged capillary tubes or just the compressor its self going bad. Friend in the industry said it may have run too long with the condenser coils covered in dust and dog hair and overheated the compressor for a long period of time.

I let the refrigerator run for 24+ hours but it still never cooled enough to even freeze a popsicle or make ice. Everything else operated normally, and the compressor was very hot, yet the coils were only room temperature, and one of the two lines going in and out of the compressor (high and low?) was barely warm while the other was room temperature. Again that was after running for over 24 hours.

Ordered a new refrigerator from Lowes. This one is done. New parts being returned and or sold on craigs list soon.

Thanks again for the help sorry there was more failure with the fridge than originally thought. The condenser fan and main control board were definitely bad though so that diagnoses was correct.

Sincerely, Chris

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay Chris, Sorry to hear that, hope you get a refund on the parts. If you got them through repair clinic they will take them back, have a great night and thanks, Bryan