Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Whirlpool refrigerator SXS- defrost issue. replaced defrost

Whirlpool refrigerator SXS- defrost issue. replaced defrost thermostat a week ago after blow drying heavy frost build up on evaporater coils. Week later, same issue. Tested heater for ohms and tested good. Dont know what to do next in terms of control board, thermostat etc.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today Do you have a volt meter ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay. Well I see you already tested the heater sorry. the only thing left is the ADB (adaptive defrost board) did you completely defrost the coils when you changed the thermostat ? Defrost Control Board(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. the coils were all clear once I finished blow drying them.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay I took a look at the defrost timer (ADB) and these had to be redisigned and that the issue you have. you will need to replace it. there are only 3 parts to the defrost system, the defrost thermostat which you replaced, the defrost heater which you tested and its good and then there the board, thats it. so heres a link to order it. its located up in the control panel inside the refrigerator section. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Control-Board/4388932/844415?modelNumber=ED5SHEXKQ00?RCAID=1000065 click that blue link to order it. thanks and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could you tell me where this is located in unit? I see a part W10366604 that states control board. Is this same or different? Thanks very much!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
its number 6 on this diagram graphicI marked it with a red arrow. the Manufacturer part Number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi- I purchased the timer defrost Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNN When I went to change it out I noticed the contacts do not match the old contacts on the old board. The harness that came with the new board do not match the old connecters either. When I look up the part on sears they show a completely board style than part(NNN) NNN-NNNN They're saying its part # W10353224. Could I get some further assistance please?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
mmm, wow thats funny. i looked up the other part W10353224 and its similar, Maybe they made a mistake on the site. return the one you bought and get the one from Sears. sorry for the confusion. sometimes they list the wrong part. tell them it wasn't correct and they will refund your money , it wasn't installed so there shouldn't be an issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. The one on the sears site cant be the correct one as the contacts are completely different than the existing board. The one you advised me to get is similar to the old one but doesnt have enough contact tabs as the old one and the harness that comes with the new one wouldnt help and besides, the paper that came with the new board states what old part numbers the harness is to be used in conjunction with the new board and the old board part number doesnt match the ones they list. I got this part locally at a parts distributer because they had one in stock and I'm sure they'll return it..just hoping they have a correct one cause the one on sears is definitely not accurate. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh man , mmm thats kinda crazy. I'll do some more looking. does this one look like the one you have in there now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for all your help. New defrost control installed and working good.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thats great to hear, your very welcome, sorry for all the confusion, have a great week ! thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician