Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a 2006 maytag french door refrigerator with freezer

Customer Question

I have a 2006 maytag french door refrigerator with freezer on the bottom. I can not get the control panel to respond. If you press water it will not shift from cubes to water. It will also not respond to changing the temp. or any other buttons on the control panel. It also froze a container of milk thus the not responding to changing the temp.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. The tech you requested is not available, I can help you though.

First if your dispenser has a lock button press and hold that until the green light goes out.

If it does not have a lock unplug the refrigerator for ten minutes and see if the board will reset.

Lastly if neither of the above works don't do more with that control. Just leave it alone because it has failed and doing more than we have could make things worse than they are.

There is a board behind that panel showing the digits that has failed. Follow the instructions that come with that board. I have linked it below or you may order it locally. It is factory part number 67006294. Be sure to unplug the refrigerator before changing that part.

https://www.appliancezone.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=9504&r=br549

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks I hit the lock button and now all the buttons are working I can adjust temp, etc..... One problem left I am not sure if it is related or not neither the ice or the water is working, I can switch from water to ice but neither dispenses.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Lisa try opening one door and press the light switch with your hand. Have someone to press the dispenser for water or ice at the same time. What happens?

If nothing changes repeat the same test with the other door. Let me know please.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I tried the door and light sequence and nothing improved. Also it seems the buttons on the control panel are stuck as I am unable to change from water to ice or adj the temp.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Its going to be the board. They do that when they first start going out, that board is tied to the light switches and when they get weak the lights going off and on can affect whether they work or not. If you will replace that part that will take care of it.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it diffcult to replace the board and should that help the water and ice not working. Where do I get the part?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes that will take care of the whole problem 67006294 is the part number to use and any Sears that does service repairs will be happy to help you get one.

Unplug the refrigerator. Remove the drip tray. Remove the 2 screws that were under the drip tray. Lift the entire face up a liffle and off. Disconnect the wire. That is not too bad and then you will see the part that shows the digits. That is the board.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I replaced the part ( your direction was excellent it was simple to do), plugged in the refrig. all the buttons on the panel worked I was able to change temp. switch from ice to water for a few minutes and then two problems.

1) ice and water are not dispensing I assume that since the refrig got cold that the water lines might have froze.

2) When I press the buttons on the panel they no longer change, thus I am back to were I started - could it be that something is blowing out the panel or is it that the buttons on the panel are just worn out?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Usually Lisa the problem is the board. Those buttons are pretty durable. Try this, heat the buttons one at a time with the refrigerator unplugged. Use a blow dryer and massage each button as you heat it and see if that makes it start working again. Also double check the ribbon wire and be sure you have it well inserted and use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on the ribbon.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We got it working, I think the pencil eraser on the strip worked as well as we took the water filter out and reinserted it. I think that is what changed the water flow. So thus the buttons are all working and we have water is flowing. Hopefully the ice cubes will start being made that will be the final test!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Good deal, I am very happy that worked. Let me know, and hey I am out tomorrow until 4:30 pm eastern time and through the whole week but I will see your replies and reply as soon after that as possible.

You folks take care, I have my fingers crossed for ya.
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks I feel so impowered to be able to fix this without having to call a repairman to the house!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

You are so very welcome, thank you for the opportunity. Don't ask me about a washer lol.

Just kidding, ask anything you like. I will do my very best to help.

Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So Barry,

I'm back. So the buttons on the panel worked for about 20 minutes and then once again I can no longer get them to respond. They are "stuck" on whatever setting I had set them on. Do you think that blue tape needs to be replaced?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lisa, yes the problem would have to be the overlay with the buttons on it. That comes with the ribbon wire and I have it linked below for you.

https://www.appliancezone.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=29407&r=br549

Also I have an image of that part linked below. Make sure the buttons match your buttons.
CLICK HERE FOR IMAGE

I am sorry you had to wait, I am working some crazy hours right now.

Thanks,
Barry