Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Ten+/- year old Kenmore top load washing machine will no longer

Ten+/- year old Kenmore top load washing machine will no longer agitate clothes.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look around on the washer for the model/serial sticker and post the model number. It is usually under the lid to the rear. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams. Be sure to space the numbers out, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 like that or they will not show up on my end.

When you put your washer in the wash cycle can you hear a light clicking noise? Also if you grab the top of the agitator can you turn it by hand both ways?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response. My apologies, but I think we have the solution. I appreciate your assistance, though.

You are very welcome, thank you for the opportunity. If it comes up again today or within the next thirty days please let me know. Post right here, my normal hours are 8 to 8 eastern time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, my friend went and looked, and my set up is not the same as my old one, so - the model # XXXXX XXXXX S A V 2 6 5 5 A W W

I was away and just got your message, let me look at the diagrams for this model.

Same thing not agitating? Will it spin?

Same thing not agitating? Will it spin?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it spins, but does not agitate.

(Sorry for the delay in answering)

No problem at all. Jennifer this is going to be a tough, expensive job. You need a transmission and the transmission alone costs $234. You will need someone to put it in because it does require special tools to change one. You would have to purchase a spanner wrench and that will be the only thing you ever use it for. The wrench fits nothing else. I would not recommend any homeowner change one of these things, even with experience its not easy. I would say your looking at a $500 repair and that is a fair price for that job.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating so that I am compensated. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link, I would be happy to answer anything you need to know.