Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a side by side kitchen aid refrigerator and I have water

Customer Question

I have a side by side kitchen aid refrigerator and I have water to he filter but not to the ice maker or the water dispencer. Is there something I should be checking that could be causing the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today, when you say you have water to the filter do you mean under pressure ? or are you just saying theres water in the filter when you take it out ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have water in the filter and it is under pressure.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, now when you press for water do you hear a buzz in the back where the water line connects from the house ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I do not and although my ice maker looks like it functions it does not fill and the auger does not turn when I depress the dispencer switch.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay so let me see if I have this right, theres no ice in the auger ? or is there ice but it just wont dispense ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no ice at all becasue there is no water and the auger does not turn regardless .

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay those are two completely separate issues. because its not making ice would not stop the auger from turning so you have two issues. do you have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes however I am not at home at the moment but I do have one. I did pull the back panel and looked at the switch on the bottom right where it looks like water travels through after it goes tot he filter. Is there something there that I need to test?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
actually I was going to have you first test for 120 volts going to the valve when you press for water.will you be there tonight ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I will be home in about 2 hours from now.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay,great I'll be here. talk then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Thank you talk with you in a bit.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am back on line and have my volt meter

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay great, try this first, pull the refrigerator away from the wall and remove the panel. then take your meter on voltage and have someone press for water. test the larger side (tube) thats the water side, see if you get 120 volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I assume I test the wire in bound that connects?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That side is not hot when the water is pressed

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Okay so you get no voltage? the side with the lager plastic line connected to it correct ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Correct

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well thats a problem. that however may be related to the dispenser issue but the ice maker issue doesn't run through the dispenser, it get its power right from the ice maker, So what we need to do is see if the ice maker is cycling. pop the white cover off the ice maker and you will see this graphictake a piece of wire about 4 inches long and strip it back 3/4 of an inch on both ends and stick the wire into the holes marked T&H this will start a cycle, when you hear a slight click pull the wire out, let it go all the way around and see if the water goes in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The ice maker is running on it's own power however when it completes the cycle it does not fill with water.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, did all these things go out at the same time or did the water stop and then later it stopped making ice ? these have two solenoids on the valve and it very rare but not impossible for both sides to fail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is a new used refrigerator for us and I do not know if it ever worked. I have to assume that it did at some point but that would seem to be the problem now.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I see, Well my guess is the valve is bad as far as the ice maker side, the problem is it's a dual valve and only comes that way, the other issue (the water and ice not comming out of the dispenser is the Dispenser Switch assembly. Dispenser Switch(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product Viewclick here for the valve http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/2199838/775696?modelNumber=KSBS25FJBL00?RCAID=1000065 and the dispenser control you will need to get through Sears at this link. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/2180236/0046/106&pathTaken=partSearch&blt=14&prst=&shdPart=2180236
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I will let you know if I have further questions.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your very welcome. this question will remain open for as long as you need me. thanks and have a great night, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now that I have the switch how do I install it

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
look for two small screwdriver slots at the bottom of the plastic trim number 21 on this diagram , sometimes theres no slots so remove the spill tray at the bottom and see if there are screws, if not you need to get a screw driver on the bottom of 21 and pry it loose carefully at the bottom , once the bottom is loose go up the sides getting it loose then slide it up and off the top, the control is mounted to that i believe in this one, the control is number 18, hope this helps, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan, I spent some time on this last night and what I noticed is that the facade is all one piece and it is incorporated into the side panel edges. there is a facade or eschauten that I had hoped would be seperate from the dispencing unit but it seems to all be one piece. THerfore it seems like I would chip the front panel trim if I trid to pry it apart. Hope this makes sense. Bill

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Does the facade look similar to this one ?Dispenser Façade(NNN) NNN-NNNN        Main Product View

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes this is the one. The picture is upside down but this is the profile.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay perfect ! I have the same refrigerator and I just removed my facade. on the bottom there are two slots. I know they are there because I have the same one. anyway you need to stick a flat head screwdriver up into the slots and pry it out. I know it seems scary like your going to break it or dent the refrigerator but it does come out at the bottom and then lifts off the top. my refrigerator is stainless with the black one like yours. mine is in the garage and its not used right now. I took some picks to show you. graphic

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the pictures. This really helps me to see the actual facade. I will attempt this later this afternoon when I get home. I will let you know how it goes. BTW I have decide to install the switch before I put in the new valve as it seemed that should be the way that I proceed. If you think I should do it differently please advise. Thank you

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
do you have both ? if so replace the valve first and see if you get water that solves one problem and its easier then the switch. let me know how you make out. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I do have both and I will do the valve first and let you know. Thank you. Bill

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay Bill have a great day ! thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan, I have replace the valve on the back of the refrigerator however it did not work. No water intot he ice machine and I did get a pulsing overflow of water intot he drip tray under the refrigerator so I had to turn off the water.

I have not been able to remove the facade at all. It will not come apart. Is there any other possible reason why it will not compare apart?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
they are super tight, I took mine apart to get you pictures, you really need to pry it out from the bottom do the left side bottom first. like I said the trim is very tight and hard to get off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay I will proceed with doing that. Once I replace the switch I will be back in touch with you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay no problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay facade is off. Is there a trick to removing the swittch from the plate?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

there are tabs to release it.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The switch itself is held in by a plasic housing that is a part of the facade and is on all four sides. If I release the tabs then the internal components of the switch will fall out as they are held in by the housing of the switch assembly itself. I can send you a picture but I am not sure how to do that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It feels as if the switch needs to come out the other direction and I need to remove the faceplace on the front of the facade.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
sorry I've never replaced one on this particular refrigerator. I just tried to release mine to and it wont budge. I asked another tech and waiting for his reply. all of these are different.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Perfect. I was hoping that I was not a dunce. Waiting on yur reply. Thank you

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
nope your not. I put the word out to other techs, hopefully someone has the secret. that is a tough one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay so I started schemeing and looking at the drawing and it made sense that the drawing showed the fron decal coming off. I removed it and the sswich was able to pop out with no problem.

So the new swicth is in and I still have no power to the dispencer or the valve or the light bulb, It must be some other place in the wiring harness that I have a problem. Bummer

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh man. wow . can you test for power to the switches?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am in the process of doing that.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay I'll try and stick with you. I have to eat not but will check when I get back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Bryan,

I checked all over on the upper unit dispencer system and I could find any power up there. So it would seem that I have a power problem between the back and the top dispencer. It seems wierd however that the ice maker is cycling but the valve does not open to dispense water to it. I do have water however coming out of the overflow into the tray under the refrigerator. Hope you have some ideas. Bill

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh man this is a nightmare. Okay first at the top of the freezer where the hinge is check the connector there. theres a connector that sends the power to the dispenser. make sure a wire isn't broken and check to make sure its plugged together tightly. is the water comming from the filter ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay I am not at home today but will do that check next. As for the water it is coming oddly from an overflow tube that I believe is from the dispencer. I cannot tell but it is a drip tube that comes down right into the tray under the freezer portion of the refrigerator. I do not believe the water is making it to the ice maker becasue I do not get any ice.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay get back to me later.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So when you say the top of the freezer are you talking inside like under the light guard or top of the door on the outside? Not able to see wires or plug on the outside.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
on the outside of the refrigerator top where the top hinge is . the freezer door hinge. you have to take a screw out of the plastic hinge cover and take that off , under that is a plug.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not on this model. The plug and wiring comes in thru the bottom hinge underneath.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh okay sorry I should have went out and looked at mine ! LOL anyway check the plug and the wires. are any loose wires ? maybe push out of the connector? also you should check for voltage at that point, can you do that.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I can.
BRB

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure if you got my message. There is no power there in any plug end.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh man. thats not good. can you check the light switch that turns the light on when you open the freezer door ?

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
its a two way switch and when you open the door you cant run the dispenser. I wonder if that switch is bad ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do I check it to see if it is bad?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can tell you that the light is on when I open the door.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay these are two way switches so the light may work but when its closed it may not be sending power to the dispenser, heres a video on how to test it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Switch/4387911/586519?modelNumber=KSBS20QEAL0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Door awitch has been tested and is working as built,

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I'm really at a loss now. you have to have a bad wire somewhere if there no power to the harness, I really don't know where to tell you to look at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well is it time for me to call in a tech person? It seems like we have covered everything and we have found nothing. Is it going to be more than it is worth to do? We bought this frig from an estate sale for 150.00 but we were told it all worked perfect. I think it must be a easy fix I just can't seem to find the problem.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Well to be honest I've covered everything I can think of, we've been working on this for Two Weeks ! ugh ! Its extremely difficult to get to the bottom of this on line. Its probably something so obvious that we missed it but I cant for the life of me figure out what that could be, sorry, I've stuck with you as far as I can go. its up to you if you want to call a tech, have a great day, thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

Thank you so much for your great support. I believe that I will re-read all of your notes of to-do's and run through it one more time. If that does not turn up a different result than I will probably call in a expert to take a look first hand. I have learned alot and you have been very patient with me.

Have a great weekend and a good 4th of July weekend.

Best Regards,

Bill

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Bill, you have a nice weekend and 4rth also, well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

So it turns out that the hot wire is sheared at the door. I have Sears looking for a new door for me but it is not likely that they will find it. Do you want to sell me your door?

Just kidding. I am not sure where to go from here but I guess I will wait to see what happens.

Thanks again for your help.

Bill Ryan

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Oh man , thats the worst thing that could happen. I'm not sure where you can find a door, we are in the middle of a horrendous lightning storm and IO have to shut down for a bit. I'll see what I can find for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
have a great night , Contact me tomorrow on here and I'll see what I can find, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Bryan, Hope your weather has changed for the better. Sears is also looking for a replacement door as well. I am not sure what that means but either way I need a door. Or the frigerator just goes intot he garage and id used in that way. That would be a shame but anything could happen.

Nay help or suggestions you have would be great. Thank you

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
What color is your door ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Black. The handles and the sides and the front are all Black.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
They are correct, I don't see this available anywhere. :( I wish I could find one for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No problem. I will wait and see what happens from here. Are there any other doors from other manufactures that are the same? It seems like Whirlpool has the same frig with there name on it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Well there maybe be but its difficult to cross reference. and the problem is they use the same part number so if its not available for Kenmore then its wont be for Whirlpool. Sorry. if you click this link and scroll down theres a list of models this door fits. http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-freezer-door-panel-4344033-ap2985519.html