Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

It took my Maytag neptune 220v dryer 3 loads to dry my clothes

Customer Question

It took my Maytag neptune 220v dryer 3 loads to dry my clothes that were WELL wrung by the washer. i opened it up this morning and it seems to work perfectly ... resister ohmed out at 10 and dropping w/ my body heat... fuses and limits seem fine .... no dead spots in the element. cycled 2-3 time just fine.. ctrl board hasn't shown any signs of glitching. what next? mo M D E 5 5 0 0 A Y W
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

If you take the vent off completely from the dryer is the air blowing out the back real strong ? have you tried a load with the vent disconnected all together ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No , but it vent out the wall directly behind it ... mid cycle it seemed to be blowing strong and cool (even if there is wet clothes in there) seems to be NO warmth at all. What would make this this quite heating after 20minutes?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
there are a couple of things that could cause that. 1 the cycling thermostat, Cycling Thermostat 33002567        Main Product View or two the thermistor, Thermistor 307208          Main Product Viewin most cases on this machine its the thermistor. I would replace that. heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermistor/307208/484272?modelNumber=MDE5500AYW?RCAID=1000065 its located on the blower assembly. 9 times out of 10 thats the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

would a failing Thermistor typically be able to pass my "body heat" test?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if I can find the tolerances for that.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
these are the ohms according to the temp that the sensor is. (thermistor) NTC
70 F = 10K ohms
150 F = 1754 ohms
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well that's what i got (at least from 70 degrees to 90) any way to test the thermostat? + you have a link for (all i got was the picture)

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

does this do that in both timed dry and automatic dry ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

had to step out for a bit - Timed yes -- not sure about auto

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
for the heck of it can you try the auto cycle ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i can - it might be a couple days b4 i can get to it.... you thinking it could be the board if it doesn't work in Auto mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PS i check the visible side of the board for any burnt spots .... none

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, well lets try the auto and in the meantime I'm going to try and copy the service manual to get to you. we can talk then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your welcome. I hope to post the tech sheets for you tomorrow so you can look them over. have a great night. thanks, Bryan