Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a Kenmore refrigerator that is constantly running but

I have a Kenmore refrigerator that is constantly running but not cooling or freezing. The fan in the freezer and the fan in back on the unit are both running. The compressor is running as well.

I've checked the defrost timer and it checks good. Where do I go from here?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Take a look in the freezer at the lower rear inside wall. Is there a very thin coat of frost on that wall?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, but I just started it back up about 5 minutes ago. It's been off and opened up for a day.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Go around behind the refrigerator and near the compressor look for water. there should be a tube near the compressor directly under the freezer. is there water there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the tray is dry, discharge tube is intact. I replaced it about a year ago due to a rat chewing it up.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Well there is only one thing left to do Bill, let it run about 60 minutes and remove the rear wall of the freezer at the lower section. If over 3/4 of those coils are not frosted after that amount of time there is no coolant. I expect that is what you will find because the 3 parts that need to operate for that to happen are operating. And the lack of water does indicate that it was not frosted up. But you should look at the coils. I truly believe you will find very few frosted if any at all. So I am going to give you an answer now however if you do find frost have this page bookmarked and you can return. Just reply here.

You will have to call for a coolant leak repair and the following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon?
(They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system leak repair?

Please and lastly ask them to bring the tools needed to repair a leak. They may find the part of your unit that is leaking and be able to repair it that day, that could save a second trip charge. What some will do is tell you they have to bring the tools showing up without them and then charge twice for coming to your home twice, you want to try and avoid that.

This will give you some idea if you want to repair it or not. If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating so that I am compensated. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Barry. This is an 18 year old refrigerator and the people on the phone recommended I seriously consider a new model instead of repairing this one. They do not sell appliances.

Would you recommend a new unit or chance repairing this one given your experience?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I have always liked GE, and Frigidaire is a good brand. Both with as few digital controls. Control knobs if you can get them. The digital models in all brands fail far more often. Try to get a side by side, those are the best built and last the longest giving the fewest problems, that also includes all brands. French door refrigerators and bottom freezer refrigerators give a lot more trouble.

I would recommend GE first and Frigidaire second. Oh and one more thing, you want your refrigerator to have a single speed compressor. Fewer parts to break. Be sure to get that, its what you have in yours now.

You are very welcome, thank you for the opportunity. Please ask if you have any questions at all.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.