Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

A technician told me I need an ERC for $475 to keep the lights

Customer Question

A technician told me I need an ERC for $475 to keep the lights from dimming on my Wolf range controls (2005 30"). Also he said I need a controller for the temperature control (sometimes won't set above 350 and sometimes goes off) for $250. This doesn't include labor. Should I ask if he will replace the capacitors instead of the ERC?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon : Hello
Jon : my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Wolf service tech and I can help you today.
Jon : first off, the erc would definitely control the dining lights onthe board or timer. But didi he check to see if the ribbon able or wires connected to the erc were loose? Sometimes the wires will become dislodged or not fully seated to the erc so the lights will begin to dim. And all you will need to do is unplug the erc and clean the connection and reconnect.
Customer:

He didn't open it up at all. I read online that the capacitors could be replaced, but the technician didn't offer to do that. Also, I assume this is a separate problem from the temperature control. Do you agree with his solution to that, or do you need more information?

Jon : as far as for the temp, it can be recalibrated up to about +-35 degrees.
Jon : so if the oven or broil is off or under or over cooking it can be recalibrated. Did he put it through a diagnostic check cycle.?
Jon : if the oven is off by more the 35 degrees I would change out the thermostats. The capacitors usually will fix power to the board. But you need to have electronic experience to replace the capacitors onthe board.
Jon : And by the time you find a repair company to get the caps and pull the board out to repair it the charge you labor, it is usually cheaper just to replace the board.
Jon : i could get you pricing and show you where to order the parts and have him or someone else install it. That will save you hundreds. The just tell whoever comes back to recalibrtae your oven. As if the oven temp is still off after that, I would recommend replacing the thermostats. In which I could again get for your cheaper then anywhere else.
Jon : just let me know the full model number of the oven and ill research the parts
Customer:

He didn't even turn it on. I probably didn't explain the problem very well. The temp control knob sometimes won't set above 350 and now it will go off while I'm trying to cook. So far as I know the temperature in the oven is accurate. He estimates the part for the board at $475 and controller $250, labor and service charge over $200.

Jon : Ok. First off if he didn't even turn the oven onto check it you don't want him working on your machine. Was he an authorized Wolf servicer? It seems like you need the timer which is the control board that flips out. And the possibly the oven knob controller. But I would first stick with the board.
Jon : Let me check the pricing. H seems a bit high for his pricing.
Customer:

I called a recommended Wolf repair company rated by the BBB, but I'm skeptical.

Jon : And that was the guy that cameIt just seems he was too lazy to check your machine. Which is really easy to check by putting it into diagnostics.
Jon : The board I can get for you for under $300. And if you are handy I can tell you how to do it. Otherwise, order the oars and have a company come by to do the install. They should only chargeYou their labor charge. Which should not be more then $175.
Customer:

I will check into that. Thanks.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Brenda,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you need and want to get parts yourself just get back to me here and I will help you get them as cheaply as possible. And if you want another opinion I can recommend an authorized servicer in your area if you want.

Just get back to me here and tell me what state and county you live in and I'll check it out for you.

But to fix a problem like yours which is the main timer and possibly the control board you should be at about $500. And that includes parts and labor.

Thanks again and please feel free to get back to me here again at any time if you need more help and I will help you more for no additional charge.