Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Kenmore XXXXXXXXXXX has been failing to cool/freeze recently.

Customer Question

Kenmore XXXXXXXXXXX has been failing to cool/freeze recently. Now it failed with error codes E & F, plus blinking interior lights. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

This means the control has detected a problem with the freezer fan. You would need to replace the freezer fan or the fan has jammed up. The fan is located in the freezer behind the back inside freezer panel. Depending on your skill level you may or may not be able to do the repair, but that is the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fan is spinning freely... Any other possibilities?

The fan is either bad or possibly the main control may be defective. You need a volt meter to check the fan motor. Does the fan even try to turn on its own?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it has been kicking on. I have a meter... what do I check for & where?

So is the fan actually blowing or is it pulsing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Blowing well... at least it does before it shuts down. It shuts down after the door/s are opened for a couple minutes. I'll open up the back and check again - for fan effectiveness. May I report to you in the morning?

Yes you can report to me in the morning. BAsed on the issue, this will end up being a bad control board. That unit was made by Frigidaire for Kenmore. They had problems with the control board failing and causing the flashing lights and EF code. If the fan is blowing the board is bad. That problem will not go away I am afraid to say
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just re-started it and it runs fine - but, I know it will fail after it is 'stressed' by open doors and loading groceries, etc.

Are you talking about the main power control board that is under the unit? If so, It looks like I have 2 choices, XXX511102 or XXX5111111.

OR, are you referring to another 'control board'... ?

No the main power board under the unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the expertise. Which model number main power board (see above) should I buy? I have confirmed that the evaporator fan functions well. The defrost heater connections seem a little corroded so I'll clean them. Finally, after I removed the ice-maker I got error code '2', is that normal?

Yes that code is normal. Can I get your exact model. The one provided just shows XXXXXXXX...put a space between the digits
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is 2 5 3 4 4 3 8 3 4 0 9

241511102

order that one
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I installed a new main control board & evaporator fan motor. All is well... temps holding.

ok great!