Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Ive got the whirlpool gold model #gi5fsaxvy02. The light has

I've got the whirlpool gold model #gi5fsaxvy02. The light has stopped working in the freezer and the food is now starting to get frost on it. What is my problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

First is the fan inside the freezer running and blowing air and is the compressor running on the unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fridge part seems to be working fine. Don't hear any noise coming from fridge or freezer, so fan and compressor are not currently running.
Ok thanks for the information. There is a very good chance based on your issue that the main control board is bad. They had an issue with the board and the lights would stop working along with the compressor and fans. I would suggest replacing the board. It is located behind the unit behind the small panel on the back of the refrigerator. Here is a link to it. If you have not tried, try to unplug it for 1 minute and plug it back in to hard reset the board.

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I was going to try what you suggested about unplugging the refrigerator until I woke up this morning and found the fan working in the freezer. In addition to this, the frost had mostly disappeared.
Well maybe it reset itself with the hard reset. Sounds good though. All I ask is please rate my assistance thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But the thing is that I didn't do a hard reset? Are you saying it was just coincidence that the light went out the same time it decided not to defrost for a couple days?

Yes it may have just been a coincidence.
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help.