Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Im attempting to repair an older Amana refrigerator. The freezer

I’m attempting to repair an older Amana refrigerator. The freezer is on top. It is not de-icing so I suspect that it’s either the defrost timer or the defrost heater. The parts diagram shows the defrost timer in between the freezer and cold food compartments (the same area as the evap. coil). I removed the bottom of the freezer section but found no timer, unless it’s under the evap. coil. There appears to be no way to remove the top of the refrigerator compartment as the drain line passes through the top. I checked the compressor compartment and could not find the timer there. Any idea how I can get to it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

TMI 18D. I also ahve a link to the parts diagram.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX look to see what I can find.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Can you post the link, its not in my files.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/03-evap-fan-parts-for-amana-tmi18b-g-p7350011w-g.html

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Dave remove the panel below the door at the very bottom. Look to the left side near the front. Can you find a red or gray knob there? Perhaps a dime size hole in a piece of metal with 2 screws on each side of the hole?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Infortunately, I don't have the frig. here. I'm working on it for someone else. Are you referring to the bottom of the refrigerator section (i.e., above the compressor section)?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Below the fresh food door behind the kick panel at the very bottom in front to the left.

That is okay I can type out what to do. Have you seen the frost, does it completly fill the coils in the freezer or maybe frost on the freezer rear wall?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the evap. coil was frozen solid. I took me and hour to thaw it with a hair dryer.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, look to the bottom left under the fresh food door. If there is a small hole with the screws on each side insert a screwdriver and turn clockwise slowly, when the fridge shuts off your in defrost, same thing if it has a knob to turn. The refrigerator will be in defrost.

Up in the freezer attached up tight to the bottom of the coils is the heater. If that gets hot replace the part you turned that is the defrost timer, be careful that heater becomes very hot and will most certainly burn you.

If the heater does not come on there are 2 parts you can check with a meter for continuity. The heater and the defrost thermostat.

Remove the heater wires and put a lead to each side of the heater. If it shows continuity it is good. If it does not it is bad. They usually read between 10 and 30 ohms but the test above is good. No need for accuracy.

One of the wires from the heater will connect to the defrost heater. It is a half roll of quarters looking part with 2 wires and is clipped to the top of those coils. Same test except this part must be frosty to test. Continuity is good, no continuity is bad.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.