Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

My GE Profile Gas range is about 5 years old and today I was

Customer Question

My GE Profile Gas range is about 5 years old and today I was told it has an electrical short. Is there anything I can do to fix it? The GE rapair man said he thinks I just have to buy a new range. This range cost $1800, my old okeffe and merrit lasted 30 years, I'd expect more than 5 years for $1800.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

When you say they all blew out....what exactly burned up as there would be no reason other than too high voltage. Please advise
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

technician is saying. And his solution is to buy another range. That sound crazy to me. Do you have a solution for the voltage problem?

When I say they all blew, they are all ruined by the electrical voltage shock. That is why he says there is an electrical short.

I don't believe that...sounds like the tech does not know what he is talking about. It will be fixable. Have you physically seen the board burned out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My dad did and he's a retired electrical engineer. I wasn't home. He is 86, but he was an excellent EE.

I have worked on these for nearly 17yrs...Nothing would blow out the boards instantly other than a high voltage surge from a lightning strike or if it was wired to 240. Does not make any sense. A short would just pop the breaker and would not ruin everything as a short would just short to ground.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let me tell you where this began and maybe you can tell where the error is in the technician's approach.

May 2nd we started preheating the oven. It didn't heat but beeped F3. We called GE and they said we could use the lower oven while waiting for a technician. 5 minutes after starting the lower over it also didn't heat and F2 beeped. We kept everything off, but a few days later the control panel just started beeping F3 for minutes, then going off and doing it again. We were told to turn off the circuit breaker for 5 minutes then turn it on to try and reset the board. It didn't work. We unplugged the range until the tech came. There was a long story in between but he came last week ordered the parts I mentioned in my 1st question, then came today to install, and the parts blew. At which pint he says we have a short in our range.

Also, when I put in a temp and pressed start it almost immediately beeped that it was at temp. Is that the voltage surge? My other lights/appliances that are on that connection are not having any problems. I live in Los Angeles, we aren't having any lightning strikes.

Please advise.

Ok first the two codes are both related to the temperature sensor. Now the temperature sensor is nothing more than a variable resistor that the board voltage. He should have tested the sensor for 1100ohms at room temp. If it tested withing range then the main control would be bad. Now I believe he hooked something up wrong when changing whatever he changed on the unit, this popping something when it started. So what exactly did he change for the F2 and F3 it should have just been a sensor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He changed both sensors (main over and lower over) and the control board. All were blown when he plugged int the range.

What would you suggest I suggest to the technician so that he can finally fix it correctly?

He wired something wrong or backwards when putting in the new control. He may have pinched a wire or wired something to the control the Line to the Neutral. The sensors will be fine....Just have a new board put in by a different tech...a GE tech from the factory will get it right.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm going to have my father look at what you have said/suggested. It is VERY LATE here so I will get back to you tomorrow, either with more questions or a rating.

That is fine, please do rate my can continue even after a rating...without issue. Thanks