Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a kenmore top loading high efficience low-water washer

I have a kenmore top loading high efficience low-water washer model 2130. Durring the wash and rinse cycles it has started making this god-awful loud noise that sounds like metal ginding on metal. The cycle will complete and the clothes get done but I think im waking up the neighbors!

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today. Can you explain the noise exactly please? Is it a screeching noise? A clanking noise? A grinding noise? banging? etc...

And does it happen on the spin cycle?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would say its a screetching noise
And does it happen when it's washing only? Or does it happen all through the spin cycle too?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the noise is durring the agitation parts of the cycle. spins noise

OK so there really are only 2 things that would cause noise during the agitation cycle and not during the spin cycle. The first thing you need to do is tip the washer backwards. Remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. There is a big plastic gear. Remove the bolt in the center of the gear and make sure the bolt hasn't gotten loose or the threads about the gear are stripped out. Tighten down the bolt or replace the gear if it's stripped out. Try it again and if it still makes the noise, the gear case that has the shaft which goes up through the agitator would need to be replaced. The part number is XXXXX and it costs about $150.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you. One last thing that may help pinpoint it. The loud screetching seems to be coming from the top left of the machine

hmm, I really can't say that there is anything in that area except the fill valve. All the parts that move and actuate during the wash cycles is down below the tub. There are really no moving parts near the top except the water fill valves.