Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

lg dlg7188rm not drying clothes vent is clean and clear the

Customer Question

lg dlg7188rm not drying clothes vent is clean and clear the thermostaets on the heating vent asembly have continuity if jump out the thermostae on the right side the dryer will heat and stay heting but the glow igniter stays on also ton the control panel it is flashing drying but cooling is on solid
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon : Hello
Jon : my name is XXXXX XXXXX X am an authorized LG service tech and I can help you today. Sorry for the delayed response. I have just logged on for the night and am seeing your question now for the first time.
Jon : if you have checked the thermostats and all are fine the I would like for you to do this one simple check for me please. Remove the dryer vent from the back of the machine and runs normal timed dry cycle set to high heat at 60 mins. Don't worry, it is completely fine to run the dryer with the venting off the back of the dryer. If the dryer heats the load in about 60 minutes then the venting is the issue. Somewhere throughout the vent line it is either clogged or obstructed in some way. If it still doesn't heat then you need the cycling thermostat and or the thermistor.
Customer:

the dryer is not attached to any venting it will start to run glow igniter heats up gas valve opens the dryer heats for about 10 seconds then shuts down the gas

Jon : The cycling thermostat will cycle the heat on and off as it senses how dry the clothes are from the moisture sensor inThe dryer. If it senses the clothes are close to dry and doesn't pick up any moisture onthe clothes it will turn the heat off but the dryer will continue rotating. If the thermistor is bad it will just heat at a much lower level.
Jon : ok. That is different. That means the radiant sensor onthe flame tubes bad. Along with the solenoids for the gas valve. Much more common problem.
Customer:

i jumped the wires out on the thermistor and the dryer does the same thing as i explained

Jon : If the flame comes on we know the primary coil and thermal fuse are good. Along with the igniter. But if after the flame lights but only for ten seconds the immediately shuts down, and you hear a click the gas shuts off, the radiant flame sensor is bad along with the coil valves.
Jon : right. Which is why when you said it lights for ten seconds then stops I said the flame sensor and coil valves are bad.
Customer:

if i jump out the thermostat on the right side of the heating vent the gas stays on

Jon : the flame sensor is picking up that the flame is too hot too close to the flame sensor and shutting down. This will kill the coil valves prematurely as they keep opening and closing too much.
Jon : itis a common issue with this model dryer.
Jon : just first make sure the blower is rotating and venting the hot air out of the dyer and that it is not obstructed. If it isn't the definitely replace the sensor and coil valves. .
Jon : Flame sensor is the black square sensor on the left side of the flame tube. Just next to the igniter. It has a glass front. The part number is 6501EL3001A and should cost about $38. The coil valves are on the gas valve assembly and are round and oval and lack in color. They are part number 5221el2002a. They actually only come with the valve assembly. And will cost about $100. So what I suggest doing is first replace the flame sensor then try the machine. If it runs fine the just return the coil valves. But if it doesn't run ok with just the sensor installed then replace the coil valves as well.
Jon : if you jumped out the cyclling thermostat on the right side of the flame tube and the flame stayed onthe full time the like I said above you need to replace the thermostat.
Jon : Here is a link to the part.
Jon : http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/LG-Parts/Dryer-Parts/6931EL3004B/0026/795/Model-DLG7188RM/3204/0151200?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=par tSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=50030539&diagramPageId=00003&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=DLG7188RM&subCompDesc=Drum/motor%20assy&brandDesc=LG&modelDesc=DRYER&blt=11&shdMod=DLG7188RM&keyId=M220
Customer:

the thermostat is new how can i test the flame sensor

Jon : i would like to get the full uninterrupted description of the problem. Because you first said the heat will come on and stay on with that thermostat jumped. The you said the flame will come onthe go off the seconds later. Which one is it? Will the dryer heat andflamestay on with the cycling thermostat jumped out onthe right side? O no,it still heats then shuts down after the seconds?
Jon : Just because a thermostat is new doesn't mean it is good. You need to check these thermostats with a meter set to continuity. And remove the wires fromthe switches before checking.
Jon : If you have continuity then the switches and thermostats are good. If not,the it is bad.
Jon : Checking the flame sensor is the same. Remove the wires and check for continuity. But with this sensor it could show up good with continuity and not be satisfied temp wise and fail. So continuity alone is not a conclusive test.
Jon : that is why you need to check the other thermostats first and rule them out by process of elimination.
Jon : Are you still with me?
Customer:

the dryer wil heat for 10 seconds then shut down un touched , if i jump the thermostate it stays on i already checked all the saafety switches on the whole machine they all have continuity

Jon : basically, with venting removed from dryer and with the thermostat on the right of the flame tube jumped out, if the flame comes on then goes off ten seconds later then you need a new flame sensor and possibly coil valves. But if the heat stays on along with the flame while the thermostat on the right is jumped out, then you need to replace the thermostat.
Jon : ok. So with the thermostat jumped out it will stay on then you know your answer, replace the thermostat. It is part number
Jon : 6931el3004b and should cost about $9
Customer:

i replaced thermostat already

Jon : you got off cheap here. Consider yourself lucky.
Jon : yes. But you are saying that you have jumped out the thermostat now andthe dryer runs fine,correct? If yes, then you know you got a bad thermostat.
Jon : We are talking about the thermostat in the link I just sent you, right? It is the small round thermostat that is on the right side of the flame tube. On the right side of the
Jon : igniter tube.
Jon : if the thermostat you replaced doesn't match the part number I just have you that cost about $8 themYou replaced the wrong one.
Jon : But if it is the right one and you replaced it and the machine still only fires for tens seconds the stops, youhave a faulty thermostat. And again lookto see that there is nothing blocking the blower wheel from turning.
Customer:

that is the part that was replaced since it is the cycling therostat when it gets hot it drops out the gas when it cools it reignites the gas but it should be on more then ten seconds

Jon : Yes. That is correct. That is why if you had replaced it and it still is turning the heat off in ten seconds then it is bad.
Jon : i would just replace that thermostat andthe flame sensor onthe other side just to be safe.
Jon : Again, if you jump out the thermostat onthe right you know for surethe thermostat is bad.
Customer:

when the dryer is turned on the drying lihgt is flashing and the cooling light is on constant is this normal since i never use the dryer

Jon : yes. The cooling light can be something that stays on constantly. That is also common. It just shows you the dryer is in progress.
Jon : nothing that will affect the way it actually heats or cools the dryer.
Jon : mian concern here is that the dryer will operate fine with thermostat jumped out.
Customer:

ok i wil try ordering another thermostate

Jon : that alone tells you the thermostat is and.
Jon : you got it. I would also try retuning the original one if you can or at least exchange it for another one. Preferably from another lot just to be safe the thermostat is good.
Jon : you will find that after replacing the thermostat that the machine will run fine for you.
Jon : please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating so that I may get credit fromthe website for helping you. And if you have more questions or concerns with this machine please get backto me hereandi will help you more for no additional charge.
Jon : thankd
Customer:

ok thanks

Jon : yo got it. That is what I am here for. Glad I could help.
Jon : please just remember to rate my performance positively ow
Jon : nowown ow.
Jon : thanks again.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
David,

Thanks again for the positive rating. I you have any other questions please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks. And please let me know how you make out with the repair. Have a good night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jon

I installed the new thermostate stil have the same problem

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
David,

What thermostats have you replaced exactly?

And is your concern now that the dryer will not shut off the heat or flame? Or will the dry not heat at all?

Let me know what you have done so I can help you better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I replaced the high limit thermostet like you said to do i still shuts off after 8 to 10 seconds

then the gas will fire 3 to 4 minutes later and it shuts down again i think the high limit thermostat is funtioning how it is suppose to is it possible the flame is to hot causing the switch to cut out , when the limit switch cuts out the reading across the switch is open then when it cools it fires again

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
David,

Here is what you need to do to check the functionality of the flame sensor and thermistor of your machine.

First, remove the venting from the back of the dryer. I dont care if it has been cleaned or is even new, just remove it. The test I am going to have you run needs the dryer venting off the back of the dryer.

Next, with venting off the dryer, set the machine to a timed dry cycle of about 60 minutes on high heat. Then hit start. And now watch the flame in the flame tube. You should hear one click after a few seconds. This initial click is from the solenoids on the gas valve. The primary coil opens and send voltage to the igniter. The igniter will glow and once it has about 3.3 amps and is hot enough you should hear a second click. The second click comes from the secondary coil on the gas valve. And that lets the gas valve open and gas come into the flame tube. As the gas reaches the hot glow igniter it sparks the flame. This should all happen in less then 20-30 seconds.

If the flame comes on then goes off about 30 seconds or less later then the flame inside the flame tube is backing up and reaching the radiant flame sensor. And if that happens the sensor will shut the heat sequence down and the dryer will run but with no heat. So please monitor the flame and tell me if it is backing up into the flame tube. With the dryer venting off the machine there should be no other reason except for the blower being clogged as for why the flame would back up into the flame tube.

Now if the flame doesn't look like it is backing up into the flame tube but yet the flame still kicks off after a few seconds then the coils/ solenoids are defective and need to be replaced. This is common on dryers that have this issue. Especially after replacing the thermostat. The coils are cheap and would be the next part to replace here.

If you do notice the flame backing up into the flame tube please tell me. But also just as another check for this pull the machine out so you can go behind the dryer and check the air flow out the dryer. If you cant feel any air flow out of the dryer where the venting would be hooked up or if the air flow is weak next to nothing then please let me know. You may have something either caught in the blower wheel or a defective blower wheel.

Please run that set of checks and tell me exactly what you find.

I am sorry this process is taking soo long but sometimes we have to do this in steps to track down the real cause for why your dryer is shutting down the heat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I ordered a new gas burner valve assembly i will try it on friday and let you know what result i get

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
ok great. If you dont mind me asking, where did you order the part from? Just want to make sure that they are giving you the original factory replacement part and not a used non warranty part.

Please feel free to get back to me here again at any time if you have any troubles and I will help you more.

Thanks again and please let me know how it works out for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Changed burner valve assembly dryer works great

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
David,

I am glad the dryer is working great for you now. I knew the valve and solenoid assembly would fix the issue. From when you said the gas would stay on and the flame would stay on only for a few seconds and then go off something didn't seem correct. It is usually the solenoid coil valves that control the igniter and gas vale that cause the issue.
Anyway I am glad that the dryer is fixed and working well for you now. If you need any other help or have any other questions please come back here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.