Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Help my dishwasher does not drain. When I put it in rinse

Customer Question

Help my dishwasher does not drain. When I put it in rinse and hold, it goes through the cycle and at the end leaves all the water on the bottom. Hose is clear, and strangely I did get the pump to work once and the pump was working ??????
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Will the dishwasher drain into a bucket? May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information? The tag is on the RH side of the inner door panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

brb

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You bet, thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

modle she4702uc-18

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Will the appliance drain into a bucket, bypassing your home's plumbing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
But you can hear the pump running? You have checked the pump impeller inside the machine and it is clear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After I drained all water from washer with a sponge, I open impeller inspection door and turned impeller both front ward and back ward it appeared to be free. After closing everything back up I poured from a bucket some water about 2 quarts and turned the unit on rinse and hold and the pump immediately pumped all the water out.

That was the last time the pump worked. I went through 2 rinse and hold cycles and nothing pumped out.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, even though it is not draining, can you hear the pump trying to run, humming or buzzing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

on the rinse and hold cycle. which last for 9 minutes, on the last minute when it is supposed to drain ??? I guess. I do hear noises on and off for about 2 times

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so what we know is that the hose is clear since it drained once, and the impeller is able to run, since you manually turned it. Also, it makes noise, so it is getting power. All that adds up to the pump being faulty, likely the impeller not being secured to the motor shaft and "free wheeling" when it is energized. I would recommend replacing the pump, available below. It is accessed by removing the access panel from below the door and them pump is on the LH side of center. It will make 1/4 turn counterclockwise to disengage and can them be unplugged and removed for replacement. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Drain Pump <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Thank you for allowing me to assist you! I am happy to answer any follow up questions you may have at no additional charge. Please remember to leave a positive rating, thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I was on line with Kelly earlier today he told me I needed a pump for my dish washer. How do I remove the old pump ?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
There is a plastic tab that will be depressed, on the top of the pump, then it will turn 1/4 turn counterclockwise to disengage from the mount.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for getting back to me

when I removed front access panel under the door. to the right of center there is nothing. only on far right is a metal water hose which hooks up where is the pump remove from ? do I have to turn machine on its side to expose bottom ?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The pump is to the left, you will see the plastic drain hose attached to it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

kelly

Thank you for your patients with me. I see the hose attached to the pump. Question is how do I remove pump. Do I have to turn machine on its back ? there is only 4" space between the door and the floor. question is how do I gain access to the pump to remove it.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It is a tight fit, but you can do it right from the front of the machine. There is a small locking tab at the top of the pump. Depress it and turn the pump counterclockwise and it will squeeze through the narrow opening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you say so LOL I see the tab and I can depress it by squeezing it to the left. You say to turn it counter clock wise is that turning it horizontally or vertically counter clock wise. After I depressed the tab I tried to rotate it toward the tab it didn't budge. this is the part with the wires attached to the far left of it ? if you have a schemata of this part it would be so much easier to understand. I looked at the picture of the part and it provided little help to me.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The video below will help. It is clockwise to remove...I goofed, sorry!

CLICK HERE