Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

flashing 88 on DPSB513gB0WW GE gas dryer.

flashing 88 on DPSB513gB0WW GE gas dryer. lost my wiring diagram/repair sheet that was in the dryer. need to know how to place dryer into Service Mode so I can trouble shoot.  also if you have any other ideas how to reset from this flashing 88 mode let me know.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized GE service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

88 error on your display is actually not a true error code but a display error with keypad and control board.

Jon :

it usually just means and is recognizing there is a stuck keypad on the control.

Jon :

the easiest way to fix it is to get a hair dryer and fan hot air on the keypad and control for about ten minutes. fanning the hot air about 4 inches away from the plastic.

Jon :

the heat will loosen up the key pad and relays behind it. i know it sounds a bit strange but it actually works.

Jon :

it happens all the time.

Jon :

give that a shot and get back to me here and let me know if that works for.

Jon :

I might also suggest while fanning the hot air over the dryer, rub the palm of your hand over the controls and feel for any stuck keypad. make sure you are depressing the keypad evenly.

Customer:

the membrane for the keypad is worn out on the press to start button. I already had the control board and the membrane apart once and just removed the little button and just press the actual button behind the membrane with a pen. I will try your ideas and get right back. you are staying with me? thank you!

Jon :

Ok. I see that you have had some issues here with the control and membrane already. The previous damage could also be the reason for the failure. I didnt know you had previous damage.

Jon :

please try the hot air and tell me if that works. yes I will be here for you. just get back to me and let me know what happens.

Jon :

if it doesnt work then i am afraid you will have to replace the keypad membrane.

Customer:

just hit the front of the panel with the hot air (of course not too close)?

Customer:

the dryer had been working fine with the pen tip pressing the button. I may just take the control board out again and take a look at the buttons again if the hot air doesn't work. trying the hot air now

Jon :

ok. good. make sure that you dont go too close. and you will need to hit it for about ten minutes. again fanning it back and forth. if that doesnt do it then check the connectors and wiring to the board and display and check the button that you said came off. if everything is ok and looks good but still giving you the error, replace the board.

Jon :

yes. I would definitely recommend pulling the board out again to look to see if the hot air doesnt work. especially if you had lost a button and were using a pen to start the machine. It is possible then the presses of the pen to the board has caused that button on the control board to either get permanently stuck in or damaged.

Jon :

take a good look and you shoudl see something.

Jon :

if nothing no damage that is physical, and the hot air didnt work, then replace the control board.

Customer:

ok...I hit the board with the hot air but only for about a minute. I think the problem is with that button for start. will take the board apart and see if I can find anything if not I guess I'm in for a new control board. how much roughly?

Jon :

the part is actually called an electronic module and should be whiteish in color with a lot of little tabs on it. check the tabs again to see if any are stuck. and if not, replace the board.

Customer:

OK...I'll cut you loose then. thank you for the quick response!

Jon :

it is part number WE4M296. and should cost about $185. the part can be ordered from marcone appliance parts by calling the number below. this is my personal number

Ralph,

This is my personal direct number to them. use that number to call in on and you should get the part at a discount and be able to return the part for up to a year.

call them and give them the WE4M296 number. Their number is 1-877-821-4170.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns with this machine and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.