Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

viking stove mod # XXXXX left rear and front right

viking stove mod # XXXXX left rear and front right burners clicking after igniting. i cleaned up the burners and the spark tips . all light well but still clicking
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Viking service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

So the burners do light but keep clicking as if they havent? Is that correct?

Jon :

If so, and you have cleaned the surface of the igniter tips and the burner bases and finally have made sure the burner base is not tilted off center to the burner, then you have a faulty spark module. And it is shorting out and always calling for the front right and left rear burners to light.

Customer:

hey jon , correct, there seems to be 2 ignition module

Jon :

It is a common problem with Vikings oven ranges. I see it often. Just make sure that the igniters burners and bases are all ok. And if they are lastly make sure that the knob is not stuck in the ignite position. And if all of that is good then for sure the spark module has shorted out and will need to be replaced.

Customer:

by any chance do the left rear and the front right work off the same mod

Jon :

yes. there is one for the left and one for the right on your model. you have a 6 burner model, correct?

Jon :

let em check, but no, usually the left and right sides are seperate.

Customer:

4 burners and a grill

Jon :

ok. that is the q in the model number. It signifies you have the bbq

Jon :

grill in the middle and two burners on either side.

Customer:

yep

Jon :

ok. let me check the diagrams. be right back.

Customer:

so i guess i need both spark mods

Jon :

yes. since a burner on either side is trying to light.

Customer:

you wouldnt happen to have a part # XXXXX them, would you?

Jon :

that is what I am getting now for you. be one more minute. once you have the part number you can order the part cheaply on line and then install them yourself to save a lot of money. be right back to get part numbers.

Customer:

right on

Jon :

could you check your model number again please? is it definitely the vgic3644qss?

Jon :

just want to make sure i give you the right part number for your model.

Customer:

no no no vgic365-4qss

Jon :

thats what i thought. in your description above you listed the vgic364. ok thank you. one more minute for right part numbers.

Customer:

many thanks

Jon :

here is what you need. and if the burners are the only thing not working correctly on your machine and not the grill or bake or broil then you should only need one module.

Jon :

on your machine the other module is used for the grill and oven.

Jon :

you need part number PA020047 should cost about $100.

Customer:

is that the right or left one

Jon :

it is the left on. on your machine have you removed the top oven burners and bases to expose the spark modules?

Jon :

you can check the wires from the igniters back to the module to be sure that all four wires from each igniter go to the left side module. in the diagram i have it is not clear which module is for the burners and which is for the grill and oven.

Jon :

they are the same part number if that makes you feel any better so if you cant tell by looking at the wires and back tracking them to the correct module, just swap the left and try it out. if it doesnt work then you know you need to change the right one.

Jon :

in my experience working on these machines it is usually the left side module that controls all the cooktop burners and the right side for the grill and oven.

Customer:

you rock man , thanks again!

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Mike,

Thanks again for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated. I am just glad I could help you out. And like I said above, your problem with clicking burner igniters is common on these machines. There is not a week that doesn't go by that I don't get this exact complaint. It is that common. Especially if there is any kind of power outage or surge in the neighborhood.

Just replace the spark module and that will fix the whole problem. And please call the number I list above to order the part. there are a lot of places that will offer discounted appliance parts and for Viking especially. But they will often give either used or non factory original appliance parts. And then not honor any kind of return policy. Not that you will need it but please keep that in mind if you find this part any cheaper then $80.

This parts warehouse is associated with Marcne Appliance Parts. They are the single biggest and most reliable appliance parts warehouse here in the USA. And if you call the number above you will get my discounted wholesale price. But again only if you call the number I gave you. 1-877-821-4170.

And to replace the module power off the machine, remove the top burners and grates for the left and right side. Then pick up the grill plate and black cover and pull off the top of the range. It is just held in by clips. Then that will give you enough space you need to work on the modules.
Next remove the screws to the metal cover over the module then remove the screw holding the module in place. next be sure to either right down the wiring configuration or take a picture so you know where to put the wiring on the new module.

Then just rewire the new module and reverse the steps to put the machine back together and power the machine back on and test it out.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns either about ordering or installing the part and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

marcones is where i do most of my part biz. .thanks again

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Mike,

The link and number I gave you is my personal account with Marcone. If you use the number I list and call It may say a different company name but they get their parts from Marcone. And since this company does so much business with them they get the absolute best pricing. But you have to call the number to get the pricing.

Please dont feel like you have to use them. Please use whoever you want or go directly to Marcone. I just wanted to get you the best pricing for the module.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again for the positive rating. Please let me know how you do with the repair.