Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Samsung refrigerator RF268ABWP just started making a loud

My Samsung refrigerator RF268ABWP just started making a loud noise when door is closed. Sounds like it is coming from refrigerator section. Should I change the evaporator motor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you hear a noise when you shut the door, it sounds like your evaporator motor is either going bad, or more likely there is frost/ice build up and the fan blade is hitting the frost build up. You'll need to remove the back access panel inside the freezer to access the frost. Now I want to say that removing this panel can be very difficult. You may need to use a hair dryer and thaw out the panel for 30 minutes or so because sometimes the ice will prevent it from pulling off. There are sometimes 2 screws at the bottom of this panel that you need to remove and then it's just clipped in all the way around so you must pry and pull. Once you have the panel off, just use a hair dryer and thaw all the frost and ice you see. If there is no ice or frost, replace the fan motor. Below is a diagram of the panels your removing so you have a little bit of a reference point.

graphic

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You indicated pulling the panel in freezer section (which is on the bottom) but the diagram appears to be panel for refrigerator section (top). Should I try top first?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I mis-spoke. If the noise is coming from the refrigerator section, then the back panel inside the refrigerator is the part that needs to be removed. I apologize about the confusion.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.