Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a 20 yr. old GE Profile 19 cu. ft. refrigerator-freezer

I have a 20 yr. old GE Profile 19 cu. ft. refrigerator-freezer with a top-mounted freezer. The unit is working fine except that the light in the freezer has stopped working. I've changed the bulb but that didn't solve the problem. I cannot locate the switch that operates the light. Is it a hidden magnetic switch, somewhere in the freezer door frame? It's been out for a while but I'd like to repair it, if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks---John

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today. Can I get the full model number to better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section I believe.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model #

TBX19PASPRBB

So you are correct, you have a magnetic "reed switch" but it's mounted behind the front face of the divider panel between the refrigerator and freezer so it's really difficult to access because the doors would need to be removed and the floor inside the freezer removed all so you can remove the front face.

Now that being said, I would check power at the light socket first. The socket is the more likely part to fail if one of the spring contacts inside the socket gets worn out and needs to be re-bent or something like that. If you're not getting 120 volts to the wires going to the socket then you'd need to replace the reed switch---otherwise you can replace the socket or try to unplug the refrigerator and use a screwdriver to bend the spring contacts back out a bit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How difficult is it to remove the socket and replace it if need be and are the parts, whether the reed switch of the socket, readily available?

The socket isn't too hard to replace at all, it's just plastic and clips into place, but you'll need to take everything out of the freezer, remove the screws going into the back panel, and pull the back panel off to get to the clips behind the back panel holding the socket in place. You can order the socket in the link below if you need it.

CLICK HERE for socket

The reed switch can be ordered in the link below if you need.

CLICK HERE for switch