Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience:  Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business

Can not set the power button on my kenmore elite model 721.66463500.

Can not set the power button on my kenmore elite model 721.66463500. Have tried
Unplugging it to reset the unit to no avail. Help!! Thank.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appl-Tech replied 1 year ago.

Appl-Tech :

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business!

Appl-Tech :

Sorry to hear you are having problems with yoru microwave.
Does the interior light work when you open the door?

Customer:

Yes however, when I press the power button(to adjust the power range I.e low- medium-

Appl-Tech :

Can you program time into the control and does it seems like it should turn on?

Customer:

high) I get no response. Have set the time, still the same problem

Appl-Tech :

Ok just to be clear, you can set time into the control (say 2:00 min) but when you touch the start button, nothing happens.
Am I describing the problem correctly?

Customer:

Can set timer, push start, light comes on, base go around . The problem is the

Appl-Tech :

It sounds like you have a problem with on the micro switches on the door latch.
That is a classic symptom for what you a describing

Appl-Tech :

You will have to take the machine apart and check the little switches that the door latch moves when the door is closed

Customer:

Temperature setting (low-high), when I press the power button, I get no response.

Appl-Tech :

Full Size Image

Appl-Tech :

You are getting a response, you said the turn table goes on and the light comes on

Customer:

No option to select low, medium, or high

Appl-Tech :

Ok, lets start over
If you program time into the machine, and press the start button, does the turn table and light come on and the time count down and it turns off?

Customer:

Is this hard to do?? Or just another machine????

Appl-Tech :

Are you asking if replacing the switch is hard to do?

Customer:

Yes, it starts, count down, then go's off after the allotted time.

Customer:

If necessary, is replacing the switch a fit item????

Customer:

A DO it yourself item???

Appl-Tech :

Ok, like I said before, the problem lies with one of the microswitches on the door lock.
I think you asked if it was hard to do.
Answer: that really depends on your level of mechanical ability. It is not a simple job as the microwave will have to be taken apart and you will be dealing with small parts that are part of a mechanical latch. I would not suggest you tackle this unless you are mechanically inclined. It may be just easier to buy a new unit as these type of microwaves are not that expensive.
But it can be done, I do it all the time

Appl-Tech :

Did you have any other questions?
If not may I ask that you rate my help tonight as positve for JA?
Thanks

Customer:

Ok, I am good, but will opt for part two of your recommendation, thanksa

Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience: Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business