Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a GE Duel fuel convection range. Model # XXXXX

I have a GE Duel fuel convection range. Model # XXXXX S/N MD266502P. Tonight while my wife was cooking dinner, the digital display went blank and the oven quit. The oven light will come on when the door is opened, and the ignitor will light the gas burners. I checked the main circuit breaker, it was OK. My wife thought she heard a POP sound when the display went blank. I tried holding down certain buttons for seconds but to no avail. Thank you, DD
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

You need to first check the terminal block where the cord connects to the unit. If a wire burned off you will have the symptoms you are experiencing. Otherwise you may have a clock control that has burned out on the unit. Hearing a pop though would either have been a wire on the terminal block or something blew on the control board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot provide a rating until I check out what you advised and I can't do that until in the morning. DD

Yes just check it out and get back to me no problem and if you have any other questions about it just post them to me. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed the three back covers. The terminal block where the cord connects is fine. All wires are ok, no obvious shorts or overloads, no black, no soot, everything looks fine. The rear of the circuit board looks ok. Where do we go from here? DD

Let me check more of the wiring diagram tonight, I will get back to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will wait on your reply. DD

Ok I have checked it out. You need to get at the control board and check from L1 to N...if you have 120 volts across those two at the board the board is bad.

CLICK HERE FOR BOARD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Help me out here. With the back off, which is the control board? There seems to be one long circuit board over another one. Which is the control board? Looked again, found L1 & N. Do I check the voltage with the wire terminal connectors on or off? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX checked the wiring diagram and it says that 120 volts should be at L1 & N. Your information says that 120 volts there indicates that the board is bad. That is wrong. I wait your answer.

Yes L1 and N....if you have 120 volts there and nothing is on the display the board is bad as I stated earlier. Meaning you should have power there and if you do the board display should be working...hope you get that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no voltage across L1 and N terminals.

Ok you have to check power then at the source or where the wires connect to the cord. The wiring diagram shows the L1 and N go directly to the plug that goes into the wall socket. Double check your incoming power source, use an extension cord to make sure it is actually working. Then check the wiring from the control to the cord....there is a chance you may have a bad cord itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'll check the plug and cord. But the oven light works and the igniters for the gas burners work. I'll get back to you.

OK, I have 240 volts at the input terminal block, the cord and plug is good. I checked at a splice on the red wire half way up to terminal N and there is 120 volts but still no voltage at the red wire and N on the board. The wire bundle then disappears into the side of the stove body. It seems tht there is an open circuit in there.

I found the problem. There is a square white connector, male and female, that connects the wire bundle. It is on the right side of the range from the rear. I need to replace it. I guess I can splice in all the wires if I can get the connector.

Yes if it is a molex plug with about 6 wires in it there was a GE recall for that. If you see 2 pins burned up you can get it fixed by GE for free.

All I ask is that you rate my assistance thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, there are two pins burned up. How do I go about contacting GE?

1-800-626-2005
Monday–Friday: 8 a.m.–10 p.m. ET
Saturday: 8 a.m.–7 p.m. ET
Sunday: Closed

Just give them a call. They have a new harness kit to replace it.

All I ask is please rate my assistance for the help I have provided. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found the web site and telephone number. I called and they are sending someone on Tuesday morning to replace the harness. I appreciate your information. Without your help I would not have known about the recall and would have been in trouble. Thanks very much.

Sounds great. PLease just rate my assistance otherwise I will receive no credit. Thanks again!
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.