Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

We have a Whirlpool side-by-side model GD25DF that started

We have a Whirlpool side-by-side model GD25DF that started to lose it's ability to keep cool. All the stuff in the freezer melted, the contents of the fridge were also warm. This was noticed 4 days ago. This morning I vacuumed a large amount of dust from the coils. We were preparing to empty and toss the remaining stuff this evening when we noticed it had gotten cold again. Things in the freezer were rock solid. Should this unit be replaced or did vacuuming actual fix it???

Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

hello , did you notice any frost on the rear panel of the freezer section? also did you notice the fan at the rear ,near the compressor running ? and finally how old is the fridge ? thx randy

Customer:

Did not see any frost. I assumed the fan was working because I could feel the wind blowing into the freezer compartment but before cleaning the coils it was not real cold. I think it is about 14 years old.

Randy 43 :

ok thx , is the compressor making any different sounds? and if you are able to , if you unplug it and then plug it back in do you hear the compressor start up right away?

Customer:

I don't hear any different sounds - it's as quiet as it normally is. This is a huge unit and I have not pulled it away from the wall. When I do that what should I look for? I would rather not spend the $1500 to replace it if it can be repaired. I assume that with the freezer now freezing things solid, the compressor is ok. It is possibly the starter?

Randy 43 :

what happens is the compressor gets inefficient and has a hard time maintaining temps .,,working harder and harder running harder then over heating and shutting down ,if you pull the plug and plug it back in the compressor should not start for 5 min or so, if it does then the compressor is weak the compression is gone , honestly a 14 yr old fridge is on its last legs ,compressor wont last forevever , not what you wanna hear i know , as well the timer and cold control have bi metal contacts that can become pitted and not make proper contact . the starter or electricals just supply power to the compressor , i wouldnt think they are a issue

Customer:

Thanks Randy. I suppose it's time to bite the bullet and replace it. I would not want to rely on it and then have it shut down again.

Customer:

Thanks Randy. I suppose it's time to replace it. I would hate to rely on it only to shut down again.

Customer:

Thanks Randy. I suppose it's time to bite the bullet and replace it. What are the better brands from your perspective?

Randy 43 :

sorry ,but ive seen it happen lots of times ..they get old and you cant count on them , good luck

Customer:

Thanks Randy. I guess it's time to replace it. What brands would you recommend?

Randy 43 :

i always liked kitchenaide myself , they are the higher end of the whirlpool line

Randy 43 :

comparable to the jhigher end models and eoropean lines

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert