Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Have a 10 month old Whirlpool french door refrigerator 30"

Have a 10 month old Whirlpool french door refrigerator 30" wide. I noticed it made a little noise lately but tonight the sound is quite deafening. We found some ice build up in the bottom of the freezer that we removed but it sounds like a loud motor burning out or something. HELP!
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Ok it sounds like you have a defrosting issue. What can happen is frost can build up to the point it hits the fan blade and can start to make a lot of noise. Since it is under warranty you should not attempt a repair on it, but you can get it working again until warranty service comes out. Defrost the freezer completely then start it again. It should work until they get out and be a lot quieter. Put your items in a cooler open the doors and run a fan blowing into the unit...it will defrost a lot faster.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should it be unplugged during all of this?

Yes for sure unplug it as it will otherwise continue to try and cool.