Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

How can I tell if my whirlpool washer drive block is bad. The

How can I tell if my whirlpool washer drive block is bad. The videos show replacing one for another that looks the same. I'm down to that parts removal but it looks ok to me. The washer wouldn't spin but would fill, after unplugging for 1 minute now the water won't fill either. I've taken it apart hence my question about the drive block.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us the full model number from the tag under the lid ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lsw9700pq0

on this machine the drive block is actually a drive coupling. Motor Coupling 285753A Main Product View these are easy to change and theres a video on how to do this as well . you can order it here . click this blue link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Motor-Coupling/285753A/1195967?modelNumber=LSW9700PQ0?RCAID=1000065 hope this helps, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have to disagree looking at the machine it looks like the videos on you tube showing a drive block (if that's what it's called). it's round with 2 slots running down each side inside and a cut thru slot running down perpendicular to the other slots and is 2 1/2 in long, hefty steel. am I missing something

oh okay your talking about this ?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
I'm sorry. heres a link to that and a video on how to replace it. my mistake. you may want to check your drive coupling just in case. they wear also and may need to be replaced before it breaks. heres the link for the drive block. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Block/389140/2858?modelNumber=LSW9700PQ0?RCAID=1000065
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you yes. that gets me to my 1st question, how do I know if the drive block is bad it looks fine..

You're saying I will also have a drive coupling

yes you also have a drive coupling. what does this do or not do ? do you here the motor run but it doesn't spin ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no motor sound but before it stopped as it started spinning the noise was "snap snap snap" and I was thinking a breaking belt. I shifted the load and from then no motor sound. 1 video said to try reset and after that there was no water either. Sorry to be taking so much of your time, thank you

thats okay, okay so no motor noise at all. that sounds like the lid switch failed to me.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
these switches are plastic and break easy. and the video for the reset (lifting the lid 6 times) is for a GE washer not whirlpool.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll check the lid switch. (the machine is 9 yrs) but when at first there was no motor sound there was water. Unplugging probably was a coincidence but from that point the water stopped. thinking it thru would the lid switch still allow water with no motor and then not. Just sounds like there could be another issue

I believe your lid switch is bad.it will stop the water in this model. I have to go to work this morning let me know what you find. thanks, Bryan