Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I am repairing a commercial Maytag dryer. It runs, but does

I am repairing a commercial Maytag dryer. It runs, but does not heat. There is continuity across all the thermostats and across all thermal switches There is continuity at 12 ohms across the element, what is the like cause?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

You need to check for voltage across the thermal fuses and the heater. See if you are getting voltage when checking across the terminals. Check from PU40 wire at the high limit to ground. See if you show 120 volts. If you do let me know. If you do not check the terminal block on the unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There appears to be no voltage across any of the thermal fuses

Check ftom the purple 40 wire to ground when on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

purple 40 to ground reads 120 volts when on

OK check from the Black 33 wire to ground. It is attached to the cycling thermostat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

black 33 to ground has 120 volts when running

Ok then you either have a bad cycling thermostat, bad heater or bad cycling switch. Take a jumper wire and jump from Pink 50 to Black 33 and start the unit if the heater comes on you have a either a bad thermostat or bad cycling switch....I would lean towards the switch then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I jumpered pink 50 to black 33 and still no heat, if the heater was bad would there not be infinite resistance across the heater?

If the heater was bad it would read open or infinite resistance...check across the heater terminals for 240 volts when on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have 0 volts when I test across the heater box

Do you have a copy of the wiring diagram you can upload I have one, but not the ladder diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried to upload what I have on here, but it keeps denying permission.

Use the paperclip attachment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried that, it won't let me. Just a question should there not be power across the fuses if they are good.

Yes you should not show voltage across the fuses when on if they are good. I would manually bypass them with a jumper lead to make sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is there an email address or something I can send this wiring diagram to? nothing I do will allow me to insert it in this message.

Send it to the site email and they should be able to get it to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What are the chances that the motor is not reaching full speed and therefore the heat cycle is never being initiated

Could be possible...if you can jump Black 33 to the Blue 28 that hooks to the terminal block(it also hooks to the motor then start it. If it heats then yes you have something wrong with the motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have anything long enough to jumper it out I will have to leave it for tonight and fix something up tomorrow. I replied to one of these emails with the schematics for this unit.

I got the diagrams, It can only be a couple things. Go from the Purple wire on the high limit to Black wire on the either cycling thermostat. Turn it on and see if you see 240 volts. If you do not either the centrifugal switch is bad or the heater by pass switch is off or bad. Lastly you have to make sure you have 240 volts to the unit. Make sure the terminal block where the cord connects is not burned up.

Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tested as described above and read no voltage. How do I test the centrifugal switch and the heater switch?

Jump Blue to Black on the motor and start it to see if it heats
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked things carefully and when I pulled the timer out of the box low and behold a wire had fallen off the heater bypass switch, what a pain to find, but my knowledge of these Maytag dryers has just gone way up, thanks for the help.