Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

My whirlpool 83005 washer wont start. When I push the start

My whirlpool 83005 washer wont start. When I push the start button after loading the clothes and selecting cycle etc. the machine just turns itself off.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Let's see if we can get it in diagnostics, empty the washer before starting this

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. My washer, model wfw83005w05 has no "off" position. It has a "power" button which is unlit when the machine is off and is lit up when the power button is pushed. I started with the light off and followed your sequence.

2. Your sequence took me thru step 7. Nothing at all happened. The lights did not turn on for five seconds, they turned on forever. (we waited more than 5 minutes. Nothing turned off and there was no error code. The estimated time remaining window showed the estimated time for the cycle we had the indicator knob dialed to.

3. At the end of step 7 the instructions tell me to "unplug the washer and wait for 15 seconds. After that, ..." there is nothing after the comma.

What should I do next?

Did the unit ramp up and spin before stopping?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure what Ramp up means. The spin cycle was not complete when I pushed pause and opened it to get something out. I could never get it to start again so I took the wet clothes out and hand drained them for the dryer.

You said it got to step 7 , what happened at that step?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Absolutely nothing, at step 6 the washer was supposed to begin the diagnostic test. It did nothing at all. The lights on the console stayed on permanently, there had been no failure codes. The machine just sits there with the lights lit. we canceled out of service mode by pushing pause/cancel, we unplugged the power cord for 15 seconds and the instruction sheet ended at that point. We tried plugging it back in and got the same results... the lights lit up and when we pushed the start button the machine shuts down and all lights go out.

Thanks for using this service.

I am a different tech. You have a bad interface board. They had a lot of problems with them. That was a very common issue and here is a link to the part for you. Just copy and paste the entire link below into your address bar.
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.