Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

have a tbx18sa ge frig. back wall of freezer will get some

have a tbx18sa ge frig. back wall of freezer will get some frost on it- the fresh food section below is not cooling like it should and freezer takes awhile for food to freeze-longer than normal. it does do a defrost cycle-what's up?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, Can you remove the panel inside the freezer behind your food and tell me if the coils are completely frozen and clogged with frost ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

okay you have whats called a defrost issue. in 90% of the cases it one of two things. the defrost thermostat. Defrost Thermostat WR50X10010 Main Product View heres a link to show you how to test that,. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/WR50X10010/880016?modelNumber=TBX18SABALAA or the defrost timer. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Timer/WR9X520/311013?modelNumber=TBX18SABALAA if the defrost thermostat checks good replace the timer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i'm an older woman-single-don't have the stuff to test thermostat-what do you recommend?

Well its one or the other. the thermostat is located snapped onto the top of the coils, and the timer is located up in the control panel in the refrigerator section. number 648 on this diagram. I would replace the thermostat, its only $12.00 at this link. usually thats what goes. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/WR50X10010/880016?modelNumber=TBX18SABALAA?RCAID=1000065
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do i install new thermostat when i get it?

take a hair dryer and defrost the coils until there clear of frost ,put it back together until the party arrives. order the part, when it gets there it snaps right onto the coils.unplug the refrigerator and cut the old one out close to the thermostat. strip the wires back and put the new thermostat in. it comes with wire nuts for the wires. put it back together and your done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i also have an icemaker not in use-how do i remove it?

there are two screws where I marked with arrows, remove them and the unplug the ice maker. very simple.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

did that. also got thermostat in and replaced-still not real cold below. could be damper control? it does do a defrost cycle. how do i take control apart in fresh food area where damper and temp controls are?

heres the diagram again. the damper is number 304. you need to drop the controls again

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
inside the refrigerator section.