Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hello, I have a Maytag Centennial MWVc300WX. I took the water

Hello, I have a Maytag Centennial MWVc300WX. I took the water pump off as the washer wouldnt drain properly. I found a sock to be the culprit. I put the pump back on and started the washer. It drained ok but there is now a major leak in the pump. There was no gasket when I took off the pump. Should I use something like plumbers putty when putting the pump back on?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

is this your pump ? Drain Pump W10276397 Main Product View

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay did you take the pump itself apart ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. Just removed the 5 screws. The sock was right there when I pulled it off and I removed it and then put the screws back in. After I found it to be leaking, I removed it and put it back on. It still leaks, so I removed it again.

okay there are only three screws that actually hold the pump onto the drum underneath so i suspect you removed two that hold the pump together. most likely when you did the O ring got displaced. Can you do me a favor and watch this video and tell me if this was the way you took the pump out ? click this blue link.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

NO. I removed the 5 screws on the grey part of the pump that connect it to the white part ( where the 3 screws are).

okay thats the issue, theres a rubber O ring seal thats out actually took the pump apart and not the whole pump out. follow the video and remove both parts the way it shows and then put the pump together reseting the O ring then put the pump back in as one piece. hopefully you didn't damage the ring. this should take care of the leak.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The video doesnt show anything about taking the pump apart.. just replacing it. Do you have a video about the pump itself?

no there isn't one because your not supposed to take these apart unfortunately. if you remove the rest of the pump you will see how it goes together. theres a round O ring that sits in a slot around the pump where the 2 pieces go together. just set the O ring and place the two halves together making sure the O ring is seated properly. then put the 5 screws back in and tighten them. then put the whole pump back in all in one piece. sorry theres no video for taking these apart.