Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

How do I replace the water pump in my kenmore elite freestanding

How do I replace the water pump in my kenmore elite freestanding icemaker?
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Kenmore Elite Freestanding Coldspot Icemaker

Model # XXXXX
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first

I am a different tech....Can you double check that model it is not coming up valid so I can see which one you have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

those are the numbers above the serial # XXXXX the compartment, indicated by MOD; looking at Sears site, I may have left off "10" in front and a 9 later in the number (details, details); so could my model, purchased in 2007, be model # XXXXX

OK I found it, to replace the internal water pump on that unit it is a little bit of a pain. You have to remove the front panel screws and dismount the front controls. Remove the back edge screws to get the top off(just lay it off to the side due to the wireharness. Once that is off you will see screws to dismount the icemaker cutting grid and shroud. Then unplug the wires to the heater and sensor...they are quick connects so you can get that out of the way. You can then get the screws out to the water pump plastic shroud cover and finally get in to get the water pump out. Now the top just gets in the way so just be careful with the wire harness and lay it off to the side. If you need any more help let me know...I do these often on this unit.
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didn't follow your directions; I used some info I googled from another website that didn't include removing the cutting grid. The repair worked fine. thanks for your help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FYI: I looked back at my info, and found that the answer/directions I used came with my part order confirmation from They add, "Help with your Repair" when they confirm the part you ordered.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

where is the water inlet valve on my Kenmore Freestanding Icemaker? I replaced the water pump, but it still doesn't seem to be functioning properly. I saw a prior discussion with expert Tom Goellner that referred to the water valve probably being "crudded up".

Water valve is behind the unit where the water line connects