Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

i replaced my bin sensors and it only makes on batch what do

Customer Question

i replaced my bin sensors and it only makes on batch what do i do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

You only replaced the bin sensor? WHat does it do after dumping one sheet of ice ?

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if you dont give me answer your not going to get paid so worry less bout smileys and more bout fixing my machine....i need answer asap im leaving town tommorow....after 1and only dispense troubleshooting light ignites

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am an authorized Scotsman service tech and I can help you today. It looks like the previous expert that was helping you has opted out. If you still need or want help with this machine please run the tests and do the checks I describe below and tell me what you find.

Please note that for some tests you will need an ac volt meter with continuity or resistance check on it to run some of the tests.

Have you measured the resistance of the evaporator thermostat?

If this machine is only making one batch of ice it is possible that the evaporator thermostat is failing. And this would cause the evap plate to not get cold enough to make the sheets of ice.

Or have you checked that the circulation pump is coming on and circulating the water to the evaporator?

Please get back to me here if you would still like help figuring out what is going on with your ice maker not making ice.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is circulating water it did make a full batch of ice it does freeze

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
yes, good. but does it continue to circulate the water to the evaporator plate?

If it has made one batch of ice then stopped I need to know what exactly it is doing now? If the water pump is circulating the water to the evap plate but not freezing or making ice then we need to look at the evaporator plate and evaporator thermostat.

But if the water is not circulating after one batch then we need to figure out why the water is not flowing.

That is all I was asking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

water is not circulating after 1 batch the diahnostics/troybleshooting light blinks

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
ok. Thank you.

How many times does it blink?

Do you hear a humming from the control board area under the machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no humming after 1st batch....blinks twice marbe 3xs

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
have you checked for power to the control box?

i will look up the blinking light for you now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes ive disconnected and connected if i hold freeze down it will make another batch

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Blinking lights come back to the controller board failing.

So please open the machine up a bit and check the service diagnostic lights on the board. There should be two red lights. One for water and one for refrigeration.

Please tell me which one is flashing?

And it may be a good idea to also check the water valves filters for any clogs.

Please check that and get back to me here with what you find.

Thanks

Just saw you posted last response now.

If the ice maker will make ice if you hold freeze button down then that means you need to check the evaporator thermistor and controller.

You are essentially forcing a freeze or ice harvest cycle by hitting the freeze button. Sounds like a thermistor issue.

check that with resistance.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Please follow this.

Straight out of service manual for your model machine. this will tell us the two last fault or error codes on the machine.

To Recall the last two diagnostic codes: Push
and hold the Off button until the machine shuts off.
Then push and hold the Off button again until the
green lights flash on. Push and release the
Harvest button to recall the most recent diagnostic
code. Push and release the Harvest button again
to recall the second to last diagnostic code (the bin
full light will be on when the second to last code is
displayed). If no code is displayed, there was none
recorded. Push and release the off button again to
return to the normal setting
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
You can also download the service manual for this machine by going to http://www.scotsman-ice.com/service-support/service-library/

Then just search for your model and download the manual.

There it will show you exactly what to do. But again you should run the test and check the lights on the controller and go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i havent bn by machine but last time i did get all lights lit up then they disappeared then i pressed freeze it made 1 batch of ice and its freezing again im crossing my fingers

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. good. It sounds like you just needed to reset the Controller board.

Which can happen from time to time.

If it runs fine then you are good to go.

If it fails again get back to me here and I will walk you through checking and repairing the evap thermistor as well as the Controller.

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating.

And if you have more questions, even at a later time, please feel free to come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks and please let me know how the machine runs the next couple of days.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you need more help or have more questions please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it shut off again now the harvest clean and off buttons r on i press harvest to seediagnostics but nothibg happens

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

u still online

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

light blinks once

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I want you to unplug the ice maker for at least five minutes. Then plug it back in and set it to on or run and too me what happens?

Does it do one batch of ice again then stop? Or does it not run at all?
What lights are on and so forth.

Hopefully keeping the machine off for five minutes will reset the controller. That usually works in cases like yours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it makes 1 batch then stops.....green light on off and red light kreps blinking on diagnostics

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

off light is on and diagnosticd solid red after 1 batch what do i do

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
what is troubling me here is the off light. It should not be illuminated. The of light coming on indicates that the machine is powered off. Even if just in a diagnostic check mode.

I would change the controller only after ohming out the evaporator thermistor. If the thermistor ohms out ok then definitely replace the controller. If the resistance reading on the evap thermistor is anything other then about 5,500 then it is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

refrigeration and off light are lit....whats the deal