Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE top load washer. It wont pump water out and wont

I have a GE top load washer. It won't pump water out and won't spin. The hoses are clear, i installed a new pump and I have bypassed the lid safety switch. What else could the problem be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have a volt meter you can test power to the pump with ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay . You bypassed the lid switch and changed the pump so we need to see if your getting power to the pump. this wont spin until the water is out. what does it do when it gets to spin ? just stop and no noise at all ? is this agitating ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The machine fills and agitates. When it's done agitating, it just stops and sits there nice and quiet.

I'm running out to the garage because I think I may have a volt meter in there somewhere. If not, will one of those light up circuit checkers work? I pretty sure I have one of those.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes the light up type will work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've got one. It indicates that the pump is getting power.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay so in spin this is getting power to the pump ? then it should be running. where did you get the new pump ? it is new right ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The machine is set to spin, the power is there, and nothing happens.

The pump is brand new from the Servall parts store just down the road.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay so theres 120 volts at the pump ? drain the water and remove the pump. something may have got into it since you installed it. that does happen. do you wash comforters and pillows in this ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know if it's 120 volts. All I had was the light up circuit checker, which indicates whether power is present, but it doesn't provide a measurement of the power.

I'm certain that nothing is clogging the pump. When I lower the discharge tube below the level of the tub, the machine is draining by gravity without any problem. That indicates there's nothing clogging any of the lines or the pump, right?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well the pump could have a coin or something small the stops the impeller but could still allow water to pass through when you lower the hose. Ideally a volt meter would be the way to go. you may not actually be getting 120 volts , is there someone you can borrow one from ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can get one but not right now. I'll check the pump again for obstructions later.

Let's assume I'm not getting 120 volts. What would cause that? Is it possible there's something wrong up in the control panel?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the timer would be the issue, you bypassed the lid switch so that cant be the issue, you made sure the switch is properly jumped ? did you cut the wires and twist them together tightly ?
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.