Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

lg fridge gr-389r stopped cooling in the top section. Freezer

lg fridge gr-389r stopped cooling in the top section. Freezer still okay. Is it usually the relay or circut board that goes?
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Typically that issue is a defrosting problem. If you open the freezer and check the back panel you may see frost built up. If you can not see it you need to remove the back inside panel of the freezer. If the unit has not been going into defrost, frost then builds on the evaporator blocking airflow to the refrigerator section. That will cause the temperatures to rise in the refrigerator. There are a couple things that could cause the issue. A bad board, a bad heater or a bad defrost sensor. You would need to get a meter to check the heater and defrost sensor to see if they are bad. Now if you have no frost on the coil then let me know, if you do, you have a defrosting issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much. I took the inside panel off, like you suggested, and it was totally caked in frost. I used a hair dryer to defrost the coils. Now the refrigerator section is getting cool again.

Thank you. Richard