Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Where is the anode rod located in Electric Kenmore hot water

Customer Question

Where is the anode rod located in Electric Kenmore hot water heater #NNN-NN-NNNNPower Miser 8 ? None shown in the parts catalog and hot water has sulphur smell.
No obvious nut on top or even a location for rod is visible.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  repairman4734 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Farrell & I will be helping you with your problem today. Thanks for your question, it is appreciated. The annode rod is located on the cold water fill side of your water heate. To get to it, the copper fill tube is cut off and moved to the side a bit. The annode rod is down in that shaft. When you cut the tube, be sure to leave enough tube to solder a coupling back on. You can now unscrew the cap and lift out. Insert the new rod, screw fitting back on, and clean pipe and coupling and resolder. Hope this helps and thanks. Smile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

According to Sears and instructions on the heater you cannot apply any heat to the cold side as it uses a plastic swirl tube on the cold water side to keep build up from occurring in the tank. I don't think it can have a swirl tube and anode rod in the same cold side location.

Hi Harry, had to replace mine awhile back. It is almost as long as the water heater is tall. Only other place would be on the hot side. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Farrell , I was hoping for a definitive answer for this unit. Although Sears does not seem to know either. Is it poosible that this unit does not have one in it ?

Hi Harry, going to rethink my thinking. On the top of the water heater, are there any removeable covers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are (3) plastic covers around the perimeter of the cover about 1 inch from the side of the heater. Cleared the foam insulation away but no anode !

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today, Hi Harry, this unit doesn't have one. heres the diagrams, and heres the parts list. click this blue link. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kenmore-Parts/Water-heater-Parts/Model-153328561/0582/1081000/10051059/00001?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=153328561 they don't list one on this unit. hope this helps, thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the anode rod something new the last 10-15 years ? Hard to think that Kenmore would not include one if this was standard item for some time.

I had viewed the drawings and parts list previously and spoke to Sears part Direct. Never had this symptom before and seems most logical.

Guess if no one knows for sure I will keep trying to find our for certain.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well if they dont show one I doubt theres one in this unit. of course I dont know every machine ever made so I can only do so much. the ones I've seen look like this one but i have also seen units that dont have them.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
we have to go by parts lists and yours doesnt show one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks for your help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your very welcome. have a great night and thanks, Bryan