Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Refrigerator stopped cooling

Refrigerator stopped cooling
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, is the refrigerator completely silent or are the fans still running ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the fan in the refrigerator is running but nothing on the freezer side

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I was off line last night when you replied. can you pull the refrigerator away from the wall and go behind and remove the cover over the compressor and feel the compressor ? is it warm,hot, or cold ? is it vibrating ? like its running ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fan is running this AM

We removed the cover. The compressor doesn't appear to be running and it is almost too hot to touch

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Oh, hmmm, do you hear any clicking or buzzing comming from the compressor about every 3-5 minutes ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We unplugged the unit for about 10 minutes to let the compressor cool down and something started clicking about 3 minutes after we plugged it back in

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, Well that click you hear is the compressor start relay. its going to look like one of these, Start Device(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product Viewthey used different relays on these over the years they made this refrigerator. now if you replace the relay and the compressor still wont run then its the compressor itself thats failed. thats and expensive fix and needs to be done by an HVAC tech. you can try replacing the relay first, hers a link to order the kit. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/8201786/1177466?modelNumber=106.53652300?RCAID=1000065 it comes with instructions. there may be a cover over your relay you will have to remove before replacing, the relay just plugs onto the side of the compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I assume the relay is more likely to fail than the capacitor

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
absolutely. the capacitors never fail. do you know which relay you have yet ? have you looked ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We haven't looked specifically at the relay yet. I am trying to help my daughter in law because my son is traveling.

I have seen internet stories about seeing if the relay rattles and/or sheds small pieces when removed

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes thats what I was going to have to do. pull the relay off and shake it. normaly they will rattle when their bad but not always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We picked up the repair kit from Sears. There weren't any instructions and the black part is much smaller than the one removed from the side of the compressor. (It rattles when shaken)

Is it possible the original black piece comes apart?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
unfortunately no. are you having trouble putting the new one in ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, my daughter in law can't figure out how to make the new pieces fit. Do they stack together somehow?

The kit contained 2 medium sized white pieces, one of which is marked as being for our refrigerator, a short wiring harness, a small black device with two contacts and 2 smaller white pieces with a couple of contacts

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay you don't use them all, can you call her and get me the part number she picked up ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay thats the one I said you needed. now did you mark the wires or look at which terminals the wires came off ? you will probably be using the smaller brown relay and one of the white overload parts. graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't actually looked at the new relay closely, but shouldn't it have 3 contacts

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

well the relay has 2 and the overload (white part) has one. how many wires does the refrigerator have going to the compressor ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think we figured it out. The relay must be contained inside the larger whte piece and the black piece with 2 leads is the capacitor.

Interestingly enough, there was an overload piece preassembled inside of the new larger white piece. Should we have replaced the preassembled one with one of the 2 included in the kit?

We put everything together and the compressor started right up

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
it sounds like you got it ! thats great ! good job. please remember to rate me 3 or above so I get credit for helping you. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.