Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have an Amana french door fridge with a bottom freezer.

I have an Amana french door fridge with a bottom freezer. The switchover to Maytag must have occurred at nearly the same time as the inside tag is listed as Maytag, Model AFF2534FEW1 and the serial No is Y2513224.

I have had a repairman in several times because the defrost control does not seem to be working. Probably a similar problem as asked before. The ice seems to melt and stick together and a lot of frost collects on the back of the freezer. Food also defrosts. The door is closed solidly and the gasket seems secure.

The last time my repairman was here he showed me how to reset the fridge/freezer with "buttons" on the top near to meter? Of course now that I need it, I can remember how to reset. Please help? This is getting to be the most expensive fridge I have ever had! Thank you.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

To get the unit into defrost. You need to open the refrigerator door. Press the light switch in so the lights are off. Then press the Refrig Down button 3 times and release the button. You should see F and D in the displays. If so press the Refrig Down button 1 more time. You should see "S" in the right display. Then Press the Down button 1 last time. It should shut the unit off and the display should go back to normal. Then it will be in a Short Defrost.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Appliance Guru,

Can I do this tomorrow? It is pretty late and I promise to rate you. What you have told me so far seems to be the same info I received but couldn't remember. Thank you!

Yes no problem if you need anything else let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, I did everything you said to do (about 24 hours ago) but I still have frost on the back of the freezer. Thank you for your help.

You need to manually defrost it, If there is a lot of frost you will not be able to run it through enough defrost cycles to melt it all since the defrost cycle is not long enough for that much frost
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By this do you mean shut off the freezer (and leave the fridge on) the old fashioned way? I won't have to turn the fridge off will I?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank all the appliance gurus! Everything you said seems to have worked so far. A+

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great thanks