Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Maytag gas MGD5870TW0 will no longer heat. Any information

My Maytag gas MGD5870TW0 will no longer heat. Any information about what part to replace would be helpful.

Thank you!
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So there are quite a few things that can stop the dryer from heating. This Maytag dryer is actually made by whirlpool and I have a video below that shows you how to test all the different components on an Electric Dryer for Whirlpool. I understand your unit is a gas dryer so please ignore the part about testing the heating element in the video---I'll explain that in a second.

CLICK HERE for video

The most likely culprit if you get no heat at all, is going to be the fuse. So replace the fuse first if you don't have a multimeter.

Now if everything checks good, that leaves you down to either the igniter or the oven gas coils. The front panel would need to be removed and the drum taken out. Reconnect the door switch and run a cycle with the drum removed so you can see if the igniter glows or not. If the igniter doesn't glow, replace the igniter. If the igniter glows, replace the gas coils.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I get at the fuse?

Just pull the dryer forward and remove the screws going into the back panel. The back panel will pull off and the fuse is a thin white plastic device mounted just above the exhaust vent with (usually) 2 blue wires going to it. It's actually one of the devices that the video shows you to test.