John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

GE - MODEL PSC25NSTB-SS cools and freezes great, about 3-4

Customer Question

GE - MODEL PSC25NSTB-SS cools and freezes great, about 3-4 weeks refrigerator side will start rising in temperature, set @ 37 goes up to 45. I find that the refrigerator coil is completley solid ice, once I manually defrost it works great for about 3-4 weeks then repeats itself, is it the defrost sensor for that coil?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
Hi I,m John I will help you with the freezer coils frosting up .
can you see if the defrost heater coils are broken in this heater , do you have a meter to check a few parts ?
303781-1-M-GE-WR51X10055-Defrost-Heater-and-Bracket-Assembly.jpg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes, I have a meter, I don't see any visual breaks in the defrost elements.

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
Unplug the fridge and cut the wires on the defrost thermostat and see if it has an open circuit, you have to check this when its less than 55 deg , if it has an open circuit replace the defrost thermostat, let me know if thats the problem please .
1155318-1-M-GE-WR50X10069-Defrost-Thermostat.jpg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

have to let it defrost, can't get the cover off right now.

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
Ok but remember it has to be tested below 55 deg or it will show it as open .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

is it the sensor in the freezer compartment or the refer side? The refer side sensor looks different.

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
Its the defrost thermostat clamped to the top of the coils in the freezer .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the thermostat is closed.

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
Ok, if that thermostat is ok this sensor can cause the problem .
if you require more assistance let me know please .
304103-1-M-GE-WR55X10025-Temperature-Sensor.jpg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

is the sensor the one in the refer coil? is it a 10k?

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

The number 241 in the breakdown is the one to replace .
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

replaced sensor, freezer temperature is 4 degrees, refrigerator is 49

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
Has the coils in the freezer started to frost up again .