Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

washer was working and was stored for 3 years now it will agitate

Customer Question

washer was working and was stored for 3 years now it will agitate but will not spin to wring out water from clothes. Please help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

What happens when you try to put it into the spin cycle,????

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it does nothing, sounds like a humming sound but nothing else.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
It is not draining the water? Does it smell like burning rubber in the spin cycle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it drains the water, does not smell like burning rubber.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Okay can you tip the unit back and remove the belt, no tools are necessary to remove it, There is a large yellow pulley in the middle, spin it one way it should be very easy, spin it the other way and it should have alot of resitance, try to get it to spin one full turn by hand and let me know...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed the belt, spin it one way very easily and the other had a lot of resistance as you said.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to get the unit to spin the tub one revoulution doing it by hand on the hard direction?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Put the belt back on and put it into spin, see if it spins for you now..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The tub does not spin. You can see the yellow pulley is turning and you can hear it but the tub does not spin .

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
is it making any funny noises in the spin cycle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, no funny noises at all.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Then you will need to change that pulley, known as the Basket Drive, click on the blue link below to order it, It will come with install instructions for you...

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Angie,
Checking to see if you ordered the part for your washing machine yet, If there is anything else please let me know...
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Angie,
I have noticed that you have not checked in on your repairs to your washing machine?