Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a new Frigidaire upright freezer and it runs at least

I have a new Frigidaire upright freezer and it runs at least 80% of the time. I called the manufacturer technical support and the lady told that was normal for the new energy star freezers. She said it uses less energy running like this than shutting on and off.

Is this the way new freezers are designed?? The room it is in is set to 65 degrees and the temperature inside the freezer seems normal.

While I can slightly understand the theory, it seems to me that this will wear components out much faster than normal.

My question, is this the way this thing is supposed to run??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So believe it or not, the lady on the phone that you spoke with is actually correct. I know it's hard to understand, but perhaps I can give you an example that will help you understand. If you have a sprinter who runs 5 miles by sprinting 1000 feet, and then walking 1000 feet and continues to do this until he has gone 5 miles, the sprinter will use a lot of energy and be completely dead by time the 5 miles is up. Now if you had a jogger running 5 miles, he would likely finish in the same time if not faster, and since the jogger is designed for going long distances--he will not be as tired. He will have used up less energy and will complete the same distance in the same time if not faster. This is not just an example for your freezer. If you get a new dishwasher, you will see that the cycles now take over 2 hours to run a standard cycle now. Inconvenient as it is, it will use less energy than the older washers that would take less than an hour which is why it's done. Do not worry about the amount of time that the freezer is running, the compressor and fans are built to be much more durable and use a lot less energy while running, so it will not be as hard on the appliance or use as much energy.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the followup. Although we have this one in a remote area of the house, it could be a noise problem for someone who had it in a livable area. I should say that the noise is at a low level though.

Thanks